1 3

13. thirteen

He woke up late. Late, late. So late that school was already over. He cursed and then cursed again. His alarm hadn't gone off and he covered his eyes. God he was going to be killed by his father who was in Milan right now. He ran a hand through disheveled hair. He didn't understand why his driver didn't come for him or Nathalie hadn't woke him. His head still pounded from the migraine he had the night before. His checked his messages while chugging from the water bottle on his nightstand because he had a weird taste in his mouth.

anon: if you have a migraine you should really just rest and drink some tea.

anon: rest up pretty boy.

Those messages were from last night after he told her of the splitting headache after fencing practice. He then read the ones from today.

anon: did you sleep well?

anon: are you even awake?

anon: you're not dead are you?

anon: I'm worried adrien. are you okay?

anon: I swear I'll kill you if you're dead.

anon: please don't be dead.

anon: if this is some ploy to get me to tell who I am it isn't working, pretty boy!

anon: maybe it is a little.

anon: after further consideration I have concluded that you're probably still asleep... so I'll let you rest.

anon: text me if you're okay xx

He typed in a response.

adrien: not dead yet. glad you missed me princess xx

He knew what x's meant which is why he felt like he lost all ability to breathe. He shakily got up and made his way downstairs. Nathalie seemed to be waiting for him. "Are you feeling any better Adrien?" she asked and he gave her a confused look. She sighed and pulled out a seat from the dinning room table for him. He took the seat gratefully. Set in front of him was crackers and soup. He looked up at his dad's assistant because this wasn't usually his after school snack. Then again, he didn't go to school today. On the tray were two sets of different pills he figured out one was ibuprofen but he didn't know what the other was. "It's for your stomach..." Nathalie trailed off. "You slept through your alarm so I woke you... You told me about your headache and I asked if you wanted to stay home. You laughed and said that you didn't have a choice when it came to your father... Then you threw up on my shoes and I forced you to lie down."

He looked down and saw that Nathalie was wearing her usual attire without her heels. "Oh I'm so sorry. I'll buy you new-" she cut him off with a wave of her hand.

"Don't worry about it they were hideous anyway. Besides I needed an excuse to buy new shoes so I should be thanking you." Nathalie's eyes had a glint and Adrien had never interacted with her this way and they both burst out laughing. "I've been taking care of you all day. The other pill is an antacid." She turned and left the room. The stiff atmosphere always seemed to disappear when his father wasn't in town. He ate his soup in quiet for a few minutes and was pleasantly surprised when he saw Nathalie walk back in with a box in her hand. "This came earlier for you from a classmate." Nathalie handed him the small wrapped box and then proceeded to sit down at the table with him, which she had never done. "Go on open it. My curiosity is killing me." she urged. When she wasn't acting cold, distant, and business-like, she looked young and alive again. He smiled at her.

It was wrapped in wax paper, the ones bakers use, and it had pink ribbon tied to it. The note was small but his heart skipped a beat.

cheer up buttercup!! I hope you feel better. get well soon!! :)
anon.

The smiley face made him laugh because it was exactly like her texts. But then a thought occurred to him. For the present to be here, Nathalie would have had to open the mailbox for her and because it was all computer based. Nathalie would have had to seen her. "Did you see her?" He asked his dad's personal assistant. "What was she like?" he set down the unopened gift as he stared at Nathalie.

She sighed. "Can you just open it and then I'll tell you?" he agreed to her terms and open the gift. He was surprised to see it was just a box of earl grey tea. "All that suspense for a box of tea... Well at least it makes sense." Nathalie sighed. "Yes I did see her." Nathalie stated and picked at her nails, he had never seen her do that either.

"What was she like? What did she look like?" Adrien was too excited to eat.

"She said you would ask questions like that and I am sworn to secrecy about what she looks like." Nathalie says but then looks at him seriously. "But she never said I couldn't describe her persona." Nathalie's eyes seemed to twinkle.

"What was she like?" he asked again, getting his hopes up.

"In order to keep her identity a secret I'll only tell you one word." Nathalie leaned closer to Adrien. He leaned in hanging onto everything she said. "Clumsy." She leaned away. Adrien was brought back to one of the first texts when he asked her to describe herself in one word, clumsy did start with a c...
"Now eat so you can get your strength up." Nathalie watched him carefully, like a mother would. Since Adrien no longer had a mother he was comforted with her gesture.

He cleared his throat once he finished his soup and took his pills. "I'm going to go lay back down... Does my father know I missed school?" Adrien asked hesitantly.

Nathalie physically stiffened. "I'll hold him off as long as I can..." She trailed off and he only nodded.

"Thank you for today." He said standing up, he began walking away when suddenly she called out to him. He turned to look at her.

"When you were delirious earlier...you called me mom." She stood up and walked over to him as he flinched from her words. "It's okay Adrien... It's okay." she hugged him. He had never been hugged by her before. She never was this friendly. He hugged back because she was warm and he never got to say goodbye to his mom. Maybe he was still delirious. He believed her words.

He made it up the stairs, feeling a lot better. Ever since anon had come into his life things were looking up.

anon: did you like/get my gift??

adrien: thanks for looking out for me princess. I adore you.