"I heard there was a new teacher at school," Chloe said, flipping through the first few pages of the magazine.

"Oh really?" I asked, trying to sound interested.

"Yeah."

"Who is he?"

"His name is Mr. Taylor." She didn't look up as she continued to talk about him. "He's an English teacher. I this I have him, actually. Fifth period."

I widened my eyes at her, then reached over at my night stand to grab my schedule. I scanned the list of classes and teachers I had, until my eyes landed on fifth period. Mr. Taylor, English 4 Honors.

"I have him fifth period, too," I said. Chloe looked up and smiled.

"Seriously?"

I nodded. "Seriously."

"That's awesome! Hopefully he'll let us sit next to each other."

"Yeah, hopefully." I replaced the schedule on my night stand and swung my legs over the side of the bed.

"I heard he's hot, too."

I spun my head towards her direction. "Excuse me? Chloe, he's a teacher!"

She looked up and winked one eye, then gave me her signature, promiscuous grin. "Yep. A hot English teacher. Score."

"Chloe!" I laughed loudly. Grabbing a pillow from beside me, I chucked it at her. She wasn't expecting it, so it hit her straight in the face. I laughed more as she got up.

"Oh, it's on now." She picked up the pillow and threw it right back, but I caught it easily. I gasped in surprise when I felt her snake her arm around my waist and pull me to the bed. "I know all your weaknesses, Avery!" At first I was confused, but then I began to laugh uncontrollably as she began tickling me.

"No!" I laughed. "Quit it!" I tried to get away, but it was no use. She finally stopped when a knock came from my door.

"Avery, Chloe?"

I rolled my eyes. "What is it, twerp?"

The door opened to reveal the five foot, nine figure of my younger brother, Josh. He walked into the room and towards us. Chloe got off of me and I sat up. "What is it?"

"I'm scared about tomorrow, Avery."

I rolled my eyes again, but this time out of irritation. Josh was going to be an official freshman tomorrow, and already he was scared. But I couldn't blame him. I was the same way three years ago. "You'll be fine."

"Yeah, you've got senior connections, remember?" Chloe said from beside me. Josh gave a small smile this time, and seemed happier.

"Yeah, you're right! You won't let me be picked on, right?"

"Of course not," I said. "Besides, mom would kill me if I let anyone mess with you."

"Yeah, me too," Chloe said.

"You promise?" he asked.

"Yes!" We said in unison. He nodded and stepped forward, throwing his arms around both me and Chloe.

"Thanks, you guys," he said. Without another word, he ran out of my room and shut the door behind him.

I looked over at Chloe and smiled. "He won't make it far."

"Well he's in almost a freshman and he just gave two hot, senior girls hugs- at the same time. I think he'll make it farther than you think," Chloe pointed out.

"True," I laughed. Chloe went back to her magazines, so I grabbed a magazine and flipped it open to a random page. I groaned inwardly. Much to my dismay, it was a love quiz. It was not something I wanted to do, so I closed the magazine almost as fast as I had opened it. I sighed and threw it back onto the pile of magazines in the middle of the bed.

"I'm going to bed," I said, feeling overly tired all of a sudden.

Chloe looked up at me. "You sure?"

I nodded and grabbed my throw blanket from the edge of my bed. Chloe closed her magazine and threw it onto the pile, then grabbed a second blanket and threw it over her. She settled down next to me and stared up at the ceiling. I reached over and flipped off the lamp on the table next to the bed.

"Are you excited?" she whispered into the dark.

"Define excited," I replied.

She laughed beside me, then was silent. A few minutes later, I heard her soft snores echoing throughout the darkness of the room. Finally, I closed my eyes as well and fell asleep.