17|| Knight to D2

Start from the beginning

The old professor sighs, his eyes falling to the ground as he considers his options. It is strange for Hermione to see pondering in such a man, given that Dumbledore has always seemed prepared with plans A through F, never once expressing doubt or even surprise. For him to be unprepared is new, and yet it is comforting. Dumbledore is a mortal as much as anyone else.

"We cannot allow that to happen, now can we?" the man voices the rhetorical question, finally looking to her curious and mortalized eyes, once more

"I do not think it would be preferable."

"Yes. So you need him to trust you completely--" Dumbledore advises within his typical confidence and extensive knowledge of human nature, "you will need him to open up to you with his whole story. In order to do this, you must forsake some of your own privacy to gain entrance to his own. Tom Riddle is an excellent liar and even better lie detector. You must be honest with him."

"I had hinted to him about the Deathly Hallows, sir," Hermione informs him, still hesitant in this progression and how she should proceed with this knowledge, "but I do not know if it is wise to tell him more."

"He will discover them eventually, it would seem. And I doubt the Potters will be be revealing the Cloak anytime soon, so I do believe you are safe to tell him." Of course, Dumbledore wonders why Hermione Granger knows of the Deathly Hallows, not having learned of their existence until recently. And yet, the older wizard knows that any source of power will be of great worth to Tom Riddle, and that is unlikely to change between now and the 1990s.

Hermione nods at the man, silently agreeing with his judgement and perhaps knowing better than he does. The professor looks at her curiously, wondering how involved this young woman is in the War, yet instinctively knowing she is a key player. With the extent of her magical abilities and knowledge, as well as her connections to Tom's target, Hermione ought to be a game-changer for her side. And it sorrows him to think that such innocents must be involved with tragedy and evil.

"You were very brave to return, Hermione Granger," the man finally says, looking to Hermione with his deep and wise blue eyes, their compassion and respect expressed towards her. And though this is many decades before his death, Hermione feels a sense of finality and peace in the look...like she is doing everything right and truly helping the future in which she lives. It was all made worthwhile in that very moment.

"I was a Gryffindor," Hermione responds, chin held high, brave, and nostalgically like the most valiant of wizards in history.