Chapter 33: Good Morning

Alexander

As my body clock dictated, I woke up before sunrise to the feel of Krystina still in my arms. She was pressed up against me, her naked body warm and inviting. Almost too inviting. I slowly rolled onto my back before a certain part of my anatomy decreed that Krystina wake up too.

Reaching over to the nightstand, I grabbed my smartphone to begin the usual routine of checking emails and looking at the schedule for the day ahead. Before I opened my inbox, I saw that I had a slew of text messages that Matteo had sent the previous night.

Yesterday

8:30 PM, Matteo Donati: What are you doing? Want to meet up for drinks?

8:41 PM, Matteo Donati: I text Bryan. He's in. Meeting at Social Lounge in an hour.

I scoffed after reading that.

Of course Bryan was in.

My accountant was always up for a party – especially if it was at a hot pick up joint.

10:02 PM, Matteo Donati: Where are you?

10:15 PM, Matteo Donati: You're always glued to your phone. I hope you aren't answering because you're getting laid. How is the girl by the way?

I had to stifle a laugh after reading his last text, or I'd risk waking Krystina. Matteo was anything but subtle.

Smart-ass.

After thinking about how I should respond, I began typing out a reply to my friend.

Today

5:37 AM, Me: Just saw your message. The girl is fine. When I get laid is none of your business. Hope you guys had fun. Sorry I missed it.

I fired off the quick response to Matteo and opened my inbox.

There was an email from Kimberly Melbourne, giving me a status update on the Turning Stone office remodel. According to her projections, the remodel will be completed as scheduled.

Good.

There was an email from Bryan that said that the groundbreaking ceremony had finally been scheduled for Stone Arena.

It's about damn time.

Obtaining all the required building permits had been a huge hold up. The delay had been costing Stone Enterprise a pretty penny, which had skyrocketed my accountant's blood pressure. He was not happy about my endeavor with the soccer complex, or the price tag for the naming rights. But despite his reservations, Bryan had practically moved mountains in order to cut through all the red tape. I owed him, and a few other key staff members, a thank you at the very least.

TO: Bryan Davenport

CC: Stephen Kinsley, Laura Kaufman, Hale Fulton

FROM: Alexander Stone

SUBJECT: Re: Stone Arena

As you know, this venture is personal to me, and I appreciate all of your efforts on the project. Stephen will work out the remaining legalities with the arena board members. However, I'm going to break the mold with this and not hire out the usual planning firm for the groundbreaking. Hale will be heading up security and I want Laura to act as lead coordinator on the event details and PR. Every board member for the arena must be present when we break ground – this is not negotiable. We've gotten a lot a push back on this deal, and I'm sure the press will swarm us. I want a united front.

Keep me apprised on the planning process.

Alexander Stone

CEO, Stone Enterprise