Chapter 9 - "Pull yourself together."

I felt dizzy, weak, tired and frustrated as I angrily wiped my hand across my mouth and flushed the thick contents down the toilet, half wanting to jump in and flush myself along with it. I made my way back downstairs, seeing double vision as one hand held my pounding head as the other held onto the wall to balance myself.

Luke was passed out on the couch, liquor bottles littering the now stained carpet. I walked slowly, tiptoeing, to avoid making too much noise as I approached his sleeping body.

"Luke?" I whispered loudly.

No answer.

I heard the soft snores escape his plump lips as I pushed away the thoughts of them being on mine, slapping him lightly on the cheek a few times. He didn't seem to acknowledge my presence as his mind had remained wrapped in unconsciousness while a smile made its way and spread across my pale, ghost like complexion.

I ran towards the foyer of the mansion, just missing a piece of broken glass as the clear liquid seemed to shine off of its shattered surface.

My heart rate sped up momentarily as I heard my name escape Luke's lips.

I turned around slowly, willing that he had not witnessed what I was about to do.

But his eyes remained shut and his snores where still prominent.

An unfamiliar feeling swept over me at the fact that he had said my name in his sleep.

However, my mind was set, determination seeping through my veins.

I was about to make my third and final escape.

I breathed in the freshly polluted night air as a breeze blew through the trees and licked my bare legs making me wonder why I hadn't thought of grabbing a pair of jeans or something, but it was too late to turn back now.

I looked over my shoulder, kissing the damned place goodbye and ran into the darkness between the forests.

I don't know how long it had been or how far my bare feet had carried me, but I felt like I was about to faint.

My throat was dry and scratchy as if it was made from sandpaper.

My feet were aching and bruised.

My legs had goose bumps that looked like they had been permanently imprinted onto my skin from the frosty winter wind that threatened to blow my fragile self away. They were bleeding from being harshly whipped and assaulted by the low branches and twigs.

My brown curls looked more like chunks of knotted mayhem that trailed down my back.

And my head... never drink and drive?

More like, never attempt to go more than five meters after chugging down one too many bottles.

The fact that I was running through a dark forest didn't really help either. Every little noise made me jump at the thought that I was being stalked. Every so often, the trees would rustle their leaves and the overhead branches would shake as a bird would emerge from their shadows. I envied the lucky creatures, wanting to magically transform into a pigeon and escape life forever.

At last, after what felt like long torturous days, the light of the moon became clearer and lit up my path enough for me to actually see things that were two feet in front of me without having to trip and almost break my bones. It revealed the beautiful sight of a black concrete road as I crawled from the cover of the trees into the exposed atmosphere, feeling like I crawled out from the deepest depths of hell.

I would have taken refuge in the canopies of the trees and lay on the high branches, and wait for the daylight or at least for my shaken up brain to overcome this throbbing hangover or however it works. But I didn't want to risk falling from the probably unsteady branches to my certain death on the rocky floored dusk of the woods. So instead I sat on the concrete and waited patiently for a car of some sorts to shine its headlights through the twilight and be my saviour.

It's been god knows how many days, maybe even months since this ordeal happened and I was beaten down, wishing to just be in the comfortable security of my own home.

And what of my parents?

Was daddy even looking for me?

Was mommy worried or had they moved on from me.

I put my head in my shaking hands and felt the dam behind my eyes break as they flooded with waterfalls of tears.

"Pull yourself together." I repeated over and over to myself knowing that crying would do very little to help my case, swallowing the lump in my throat and forcing the tears back for the uncountable time this week.

At this point in my life, I was just trying to hold onto the cliff of sanity, hanging by mu fingertips. My life now revolved around surviving rather than actually living.

Was there any point at all anymore?

It wouldn't be hard to just let go and let myself fall.

But the conflicted sides of my mind were at war with each other like the devil and the angel that metaphorically sat on my shoulders.

One side reassured that it was okay to be free of this pain and suffering...

And the other was telling me to fight and win...

After all, if – when I get away, this would make one hell of a story.

And I sat there in the dark street, the only light being the moon and the thousands of stars that lit up the blanket of the night sky when small drops of rain began to fall.

And that's when I decided that this wasn't over yet.

I had to squint to allow my eyes to adjust to the sudden brightness as it seemed my prayers had been answered when a car came driving down the abandoned highway road.

The rain had started to get heavier so I flailed my arms around like a crazy person, hoping that whoever was in there would find someplace in their heart to help me.

But when the car was close enough, it seemed that my prayers had not been answered in the way that I had hoped.

My heart seemed to refuse to pump as I felt it stop altogether, my blood running cold as the windows rolled down and the smell of cigarettes hit me.

"Hello Ava."

(A/N): kinda boring i know and i'm sorry for not updating yesterday :/

umm, i don't have any questions about this chapter, but please vote and comment telling me your thoughts. 

3 votes + comments for next chapter? : )

did you like it, did you hate it... 

and please please pretty please could you maybe check out my Calum and Ashton fanfics? : D