Part 9

POV Adeline

There he stood with all his glory. His grayish eyes, similar to the fog enveloping the wild forest early in the morning, were locked with mine for a moment. Aria was begging me to run to him right then and there but thankfully, I managed to control myself. My heat jolted as he approached with his long legs and I averted my eyes away when my mind recalled what had just happened between us few hours ago. 

However, his piercing gaze never left my figure as he pulled a chair and took a seat as well. His posture similar to an emperor, prevailling in the air making me feel even more agitated and nervous. Everything had sunk into absolute silence which was nothing else but uncomfortable. So many things had happened and it had only been my first day here.

"I'll serve the food before it gets cold." Annie said pulling me out of my racing thoughts. I turned my head to her direction and saw her standing to her feet.

"I'll help you." I blurted out quickly wanting awfully to get away from Damon's hunting eyes. My mind was filled with confusion because I couldn't understand why he was behaving that way.

"You don't have to, dear. I can handle it." A reassuring smile graced her lips but I just shook slightly my head.

"I insist." I expressed politely and rose to my feet as well. Damon's gaze burning holes to the back of my head as I tried to avoid meeting eyes with him. 

"As you want." Annie nodded and we both proceeded to bring the plates filled with fresh-cooked food.

~~~~~~~~~~~•••••~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once everything had been brought to the table, both Annie and I sat back down with the rest. Everyone with its turn started eating. The atmosphere had lightened as some small typical conversations had begun but nothing really lasted long. They would always end after few short words and almost no expression came from Damon. I couldn't help but wonder if they communicated that way in every gathering they had. I hadn't said much either as I had just met these people and I was still a little self-couscious around them.

"I am thinking about going shopping with Adeline." Laura stated catching me off guard. My  body froze and I shoot a glance at her.

"What do you think?" She cupped her face and leant on her palm. Her emerald eyes were locked with my blue ones.

My mouth felt unable to form a word as I sensed an invisible pressure suffocating me. I was debating about whether the most suitable answer was to agree or just refuse. I didn't now what reaction to expect from Damon which was driving me crazy.  I bit my lip slightly and cleared softly my voice as Laura was waiting expectantly an answer.

"Lucas will come with you." 

A deep voice interrupted before I could say anything. In an instant, my eyes widened and were casted on Damon who kept eating casually. He didn't meet my eyes as an indifferent expression was plastered on his face. This made me turn my head back to Laura who had a scowl covering her face.

"No way!,"Laura exclaimed glaring at Damon. " I want to make it an all- girl- day. After all, she needs some more clothes and I can't have Lucas complain all the time until we leave!"

Lucas didn't say a word the whole time but he seemed to offer an incospicuous nod of agreement. However, he didn't dare express his thoughts loudly. On the other hand, Laura who looked more brave, had made an objection to Damon's words. I still tried to figure out what her relationship was with Damon because no person, who wasn't close enough to him, could behave so openly.

My heart started pounding erratically in my chest when Damon stopped ubruptly eating. He placed his knife and fork down and I clenched my dress tightly as I awaited his outburst at any moment. He lifted his head and locked eyes with me for a moment sending a shiver down my spine. What he was preparing uknown to me. Then, he dragged his silver eyes towards Laura who stayed strong to her ground without breaking eye-contact with him.

"Well, then," He started making me arch an eyebrow at him. "I just remembered that I had no other meetings for today."

My breath hitched in my throat hearing his words. Laura narrowed her eyes at him and parted her lips to say protest but she was cut on by his serious look which didn't hold objection. With a loud annoyed huff, she rolled her eyes and muttered a low 'fine' under her breath.

Lucas couldn't help it but form a small smile on his lips as everyone started eating again. He looked clearly relieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~••••~~~~~~~~~~~~

"May you excuse me but I would like to retreat myself for the night." I expressed making all eyes fall upon me. Taking a quick sip of water, I cleaned my lips with a napkin.

"But sweety your plate is full. Did it have with the food I made?" Annie's sweet voice asked. Her face looked concerned and a smile tugged on my lips.

Actually, my appettite had long been lost once Damon made his announcement and since then, I had been making circles with my fork on the plate. It had consumed my thoughts as I feared what to expect the next day.

"It was delicious, honestly," I reassured her. "I am feeling a little tired."

I hadn't realised that Damon had been staring at me while I was talking until when I tilted slightly my head sideways and met eyes with him. Immediately, he lowered his gaze and kept eating without giving me any attention. However, this didn't prevented the warm feeling from being formed in my stomach. 

Annie didn't say anything else and I pulled my chair backwards to stand up. After saying my goodnights with everyone else, I made my way upstairs. Opening the door of my room, I walked towards my bed where I found a plain white shirt and a pair of shorts. Without any second wasted, I got undressed and started wearing the new clothes. 

Once I got ready, I pulled the covers aside and lay down on the soft mattress. My eyelids started getting heavy as time passed and the exhaustion, caused by all these events, pervaded me. My eyes shut close and I let the darkness consume. 

However, the last thing I remember thinking was a pair of smoky eyes.

What do you think about this part?Please Vote-Comment and if you want follow!!Love ya ~~~