Part 8

POV Adeline

Unwanted tears started streaming down my cheeks and my heart felt as if an invisble hand had wrapped itself around it and squeezed it painfully. My mind was foggy and unable to think clearly as I clenched the sheets tightly. Numerous questions were racing in my head making a splitting headache make its appearance. Why was he behaving like that? I wanted to help him truthfully. What was bothering him? My wolf was worried trying to understand him. 

A sudden knock made my eyes go wide and I averted my attention towards the door. I couldn't help but wonder who was and I stood to my feet. Checking my reflection at the mirror, my face twisted when my gaze fell upon my flustered and puffy eyes. I wiped away the tears with the back of my hand.

"A second!" I said loudly and ran towards the bathroom to splash some cold water on my face.

OnceI returned, I clenched my hand around the handle and opened the door. My eyes met Lucas and I raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"Hey, Adeline." He greeted and I nodded with a small smile allowing him to get inside. 

I tried not to let him see my face clearly but he narrowed his eyes at me.

"Are you okay?" He asks concerned and I lowered my head not meeting his eyes.

"Don't worry, it's just allergy." I reassured trying to sound convincing.

He stared at me for a second and pursed his lips probably not believing my words. His lips parted and he approached me.

"Are you sure ,because if you wa-"

"-I am perfectly fine. Just a little tired as well." I quickly cut him on before he could finish his sentence. I didn't want anyone to understand that I had fought Damon and ended up crying like a hopeless child. It would seem weak and humilliated.

"If you say so," Lucas' chocolate eyes looked at me and a soft smile of relief tugged on my lips. "I just came here to ask you, if you need anything else."

At least someone cares about me in this pack.

"Thanks. I have everything I need apart from some more clothes." I expressed playing with my fingers nervously.

"Don't worry about it. We will borrow some until we buy new ones." He reassured and I nodded at him greatful. His beaming chocolate-colored eyes were radiating warmth which was welcoming.

"Thank you again for caring." I said truthfully and a small chuckle left his lips.

"Well, I have to go. If you need anything, I am the second door on the left." He informed me opening the door to leave. Before he could make a step, he turned his head back to my direction. "The kitchen is downstairs. See you later."

With this, he closed the door shut and I was left once again alone. His presence was emitting positivity and made me get away from my thoughts, even for a little while.

~~~~~~~~••••~~~~~~~~

I can't go.

This was the thought that was being repeated in my head over and over again. It was eating me alive as I paced from one corner of the room to the other while I was shooting quick glanced at the clock. It was seven and that signified that the dinner had started. My mind was in a deep debate with itself about whether it was right to attend the dinner or not. 

He might don't want to even see my face after what happened. What if I do something embarrassing and make a complete fool of myself ?!

My heart was pounding rapidly inside my chest and my fingers were playing with each other nervously. Stopping my walk, I closed my eyes and drew a deep breath to calm down my nerves. 

Don't be such a coward! 

Thoughts of encouragement filled my mind. Finally, I wrapped my hand around the cool handle of the door and twisted it softly. The excuse that I hadn't touched food the whole day was prevailling in my head as I walked in the long hallway. A stair caught my eye and I decided to go down. When I reached downstairs, a sizeable living room came to view. 

Voices made me turn my head to the direction of their origin, only to see the kitchen that Lucas had previously told me and a big dining table. Moving closer, I distinguished three people sitting around the table. The only one I could recognise was Lucas who saw me and a wide smile was formed on his face.

"We've been waiting for you." He said and I just nodded timidly.

My eyes drifted away uncounsciously as if they had been searching for someone.

"He will come, don't worry." 

My attention focused on a beautiful woman who was sitting next to Lucas and I felt blood rushing through my cheeks at her statement. Her light-brown hair that reached her shoulder was framing perfectly her face and her emerald eyes were looking at me curiously. 

Who is she ?

"Take a seat, dear," The middle-aged woman who was sitting across them said pointing at a seat. With a friendly smile plastered on my face I pulled a chair and sat as well. I tried to act as relaxed as possible around them.

"How rude of me !," The girl exclaimed catching me off guard. "I didn't introduce myself. I am Laura."

"I am Adeline." I replied and a smile graced her features. 

"This is aunt Annie." She continued and gestured at the woman across her who gave me a welcoming smile. "And as you might know this is Lucas aka the dork of our familia."

A small chuckle left my lips at her comment and Lucas raised his eyebrows. He crossed his arms on his chest glaring at her. 

"Who are you calling a dork ?!" Lucas rose to his feet. "Look at that body!" His finger showed at his well-built body. "A dork can't have this." He gave emphasis to 'this' making Laura roll her eyes.

I couldn't keep my laughter any more and I bursted out in giggles. A triumphant smirk was shaped on Laura's face and she shook her head in fake disapproval at Lucas.

"My goddess! Even Adeline is laughing at your a-hundred- year-old body. I pity you." She touched his arm in fake comfort. The smirk still on her face.

"You are so mean." Lucas noted and sat back to his seat defeated. 

It was such a change to finally feel carefree and myself. Damon had left my mind for a moment and I felt relaxed, enjoying my new company. However, that didn't last long as the main door opened making us turn our attention towards it.