Chapter 12 - Of Course, It's My Fault This Time.

Edward Dace

Edward Dace.

21. May.
Saturday, 11:00 p.m.
372A High Street.

YEARS AGO, Njal gave the original Seven-Minute Semblance a prophecy that one of them will betray the others and will cause the downfall of Wonderland.

That was bullshit.

So when my father told me the same thing last night, I made sure that none of us will betray the others. Kung si Futhark ang nagsulat ng Mad Hatter's Plan, tangina edi s'ya rin ang pumigil. Kung ayaw n'yang pigilan, isang buong araw akong ngangawngaw sa tenga n'ya hanggang sa mainis s'ya at itigil na ang buong plano.

"You have to make sure Fraulein believes you," Norcross said last night. "You have to make sure you don't separate ways. That was our mistake. We didn't communicate."

Paakyat na ako ng kwarto nang dumagdag pa s'ya ng, "Fraulein will lie to you."

Tumigil ako sa may hagdan para pakinggan ang mga sunod n'yang sasabihin.

"He will lie not because he's a bad person," he gave me a sincere look, "but because it's how he got used to defend himself."

"Anong gusto mong gawin ko?" Sa pagod at antok ko, nangingibabaw ang plano kong ngumawngaw.

Sumunod s'ya sa hagdan at lumapit sa 'kin. "Pretend you don't know anything. Pretend you're still Edward Dace, the one nobody orients in anything important. Pretend they can fool you."

"I don't want to pretend and lie in front of my friends."

He raised his arms. "You can lie to them, they do it to you all the time!"

"Kaya nga dapat akong maging role model! Igagaya mo pa ako sa 'yo. At saka hindi nagsisinungaling sa 'kin si Lae."

He scoffed. "Of course it's always the Lukas kid." Then he held my shoulders. "Listen, Edward. When the four of you meet again, Fraulein will pin the blame on Siegfried Lukas."

I furrowed my brows. "Kay Lae? But Lae's our innocent—in a way, not literally—and it's impossible to believe that he has anything to do with the Mad Hatter's Plan."

"Yes, but somehow, Fraulein will make him appear guilty."

"May tiwala ako kay Lae."

"Then it'll be easy for you to pretend to trust Fraulein, yes?"

Inalis ko ang mga kamay n'ya sa balikat ko. Kung makahawak akala mo tatakbuhan s'ya.

"Why do I need to pretend to trust Futhark? What if I trust him completely?"

He flinched. "You put your complete trust on him, despite knowing what he's done...?"

I didn't reply. I had to process the subtle hints of hurt in his voice.

"I'm sorry," he uttered quietly. "I should've been a better person."

I grimaced. "Are you trying to be a father to me right now?"