Chapter 1 - My Destiny Is Mine Alone.

Ruhmfried Siegrin

Ruhmfried Siegrin.

23. April.
Sunday, 09:00 a.m.
372A High Street.

I LISTENED VERY WELL.

I listened to everything, day in and day out. The news, weather forecast, the stock exchange, sports, showbiz—everything. Including activities in the government and the criminal underworld.

I had people researching and feeding me every latest and important information from around the world. It's my business to know, and that business gave me the power that I held up to this day.

But even such power did not save me from the household chores delegated by Fraulein Snow.

Today was William Wyse's birthday, and I could not care any less.

Why not make Edward Dace buy a cake or order take-outs? Surely William didn't need hand-kneaded dough for homemade pasta, and I could've asked my men to fly to Japan for a box of the finest coffee jelly.

Fraulein was simply keen on consigning me to laborious tasks now that I was a permanent member of their social group.

I lingered outside 372A High Street with Fenrir and pressed my back against the warm French windows. It was a sweltering day, but the greeneries surrounding the lot helped cooling a little.

I closed my eyes to save them from straining with the visual clutter, which was Heimdall's neglected vegetable garden, and listened.

+82. News on cybernetics. Corporations and industries rush to hire skilled engineers.

+49. The government approves requests on sending fighter jets to another country.

+39. A huge haul of drugs found floating near a river.

+39 follow-up: Suspected to be from the South. Connections around the area are notified.

Same old, same old.

"That doesn't look like what Futhark wanted you to do," said Niall, crouching beside me.

I lowered the volume of my earpiece, and facing him, I said, "I will not mix jelly and coffee into a bowl just for William."

"Edward Dace covered for you."

"Good."

"Futhark needs ingredients." Niall stood up, beckoning Fenrir to follow. "Let's go to the market."

I jumped to my feet. "Oh, you're taking me along! How lovely, Niall! Let's go, let's go!"

I pushed Niall towards the gate before Fraulein Snow could catch and stop us, and before Niall could clarify that the "Let's go to the market." was meant for Fenrir.

+63. Three missing kids from different provinces are spotted in one location.

+44. Wonderland remains inactive as an organisation.