Chapter 21-It Couldn't Have Gotten Much Better Than This

Dan's POV
The bell for first period suddenly rang, interrupting our conversation, and we all groaned in annoyance, as we stood up and I swung the bag strap over my shoulder as I headed for class. I felt Phil's hand reach out and grab mine, and I smile at him as we walked side by side, and he smiled back.

We arrived at our classroom and entered, taking our usual seats up the back of the room.

"Hey Dan, I was thinking maybe I could take you out on the weekend, for you know...a date" Phil suggested, his cheeks going slightly pink as he blushed.

"Were you now? Do you have anything in mind?" I questioned, making his cheeks turn even more pink.

"Yes I was... I was thinking that I could take you out on Saturday...maybe to a nice restaurant but not too fancy, or to the movies, and I'll even let you pick the movie. Or I could take you on a romantic nighttime picnic to the beach or the park, and I could make you all your favourite foods" Phil listed, thinking along as he thought of ideas. "We could also go bowling or do laser skirmish, but we're probably both really bad at it since it requires being physical." I laughed at the last comment, knowing that it was very true, although I wouldn't mind seeing Phil try to aim for a strike or see if all that Halo playing would come in handy.

"Okay, you've got a lot of good ideas to choose from. So how about you pick one and surprise me with it" I suggested.

"I'll do that then, but be sure that you will have the best first date of your life" Phil informed.

"I'll be looking forward to it" I replied, but before Phil could say anything more, the teacher arrived and started the lesson, and I leaned back in my chair as I zoned out, not caring if I was missing anything. It probably wasn't even that important anyway...

Class had finally finished, and I was relived. I didn't think I'd ever end up leaving, but I guess that's what happens when you've constantly been checking the time. It was now recess, and I was looking around for Phil, who wasn't in my class for second period, and found him standing out the front of the cafeteria with Connor and Jim, talking away. I immediately approached them and squeezed in-between Phil and Jim, and we were soon joined by Alfie and Pj, which was a bit weird since I wasn't used to seeing them talking, even though they were in the same group.

"Hey everyone, did we miss anything?" Alfie asked. I shook my head as Phil answered him, and we then headed inside the cafeteria. We saw that the rest of our friends were sitting there, sitting on the seats and on the tables, and a few were standing with their backs against the wall. Phil and I were pulled up onto the table, and we sat back to back as I talked to Lily and Chris, and he talked to Joe and Louise. Recess was soon over in a flash, as we then were heading back off to class, unfortunately.

I hopped off of the table and followed after Chris, Phil and Pj, since we were all in the same English class. Phil was immediately by my side we walked through the halls as we held hands, not caring if anyone saw us. They probably already knew, since news travels fast for any new couple.

We reached the room and we all sat down together in the back row, talking amongst each other. Our teacher arrived a few minutes later, and he was clearly in a bad mood. He was most likely going through a midlife crisis and was questioning why he was working here, he probably didn't even like teenagers, or teaching. I found myself procrastinating once again, questioning why we should even be doing this worksheet in the first place, and quietly complaining about the teacher to Phil, but he just rolled his eyes, and continued on with his work.