Chapter Six: Fate Discovered

After a few hours of travel, and a tedious climb off the mountain, Eerika was approached Riverwood just as the sun rose. She could feel her head hang low with exhaustion as her heavy feet stumbled along the road. She skirted past the early risers of the town and advanced towards the trader's shop. 

Lucan was slumped over the counter with a bottle of mead in hand. Eerika slammed her fist upon the counter, causing him to jolt awake, his blood-shot eyes flashing with confusion. She then set the golden claw in front of him without another word. He slumped in his chair and looked the treasure for a moment. And then, with a loud whoop, he shouted, "By the eight, the claw!" He then shuffled behind the counter and heaved a large sack that tinkled with the sound of gold upon the bar. "Take it. Take it all." He spoke quickly, his eyes fixed upon the claw and all of its gems. 

And with a nod, Eerika collected her dues and left the shop for Whiterun.

It wasn't until the evening when Eerika finally reached Dragonsreach. 

When she walked in the door, she heard the whispers of nobles as they glanced her way. "Oh yes, the Jarl sent her to an ancient burial site..." "I didn't think she'd come back... alive..."

As Eerika walked into Farengar's study, she heard him speaking in a low voice with another woman. She was dressed in armor and a brown hood that covered her face, although you could see her dark blonde hair fall around her shoulders. She was hunched over a crumbling book upon Farengar's desk.

"You see? The terminology is clearly First Era or even earlier." Farengar muttered, his body leaning to gaze at the relic over the mysterious woman's shoulder. "I'm convinced this is a copy of a much older text. Perhaps dating to just after the Dragon War. If so, I could use this to cross-reference the names with other later texts." 

The woman responded with a crisp tone, "Good. I'm glad you're making progress. My employers are anxious to have some tangible answers." 

Farengar scoffed and smiled.  "Oh, have no fear. The Jarl himself has finally taken an interest, so I'm now able to devote most of my time to this research."

The armored woman sighed and stood up. "Time is running, Farengar, don't forget. This isn't some theoretical question. Dragons have come back." she frowned at the word, 'dragons'.

The wizard waved his hand in the air dismissively "Yes, yes. Don't worry. Although the chance to see a living dragon up close would be tremendously valuable..." He shook his head and then began to shuffle around some paper. "Now, let me show you something else I found... very intriguing... I think your employers may be interested as well..."

The woman snapped her head up to see Eerika standing in the doorway. "You have a visitor." She stated in a cold voice. 

Farengar lifted his head and looked around in confusion, only for a look of recognition to slowly com over him as he saw her. The court wizard turned around to face Eerika, a look of surprise around him. "Hmm? Ah, yes, the Jarl's protege! Back from Bleak Falls Barrow? You didn't die, it seems."

Eerika raised an eyebrow at this and added, "Apparently I didn't." She then heaved her bag onto the table, it landing with a large THUMP when it hit the wood. Eerika took out the old tablet and handed it to Farengar.

"Ah! The Dragonstone of Bleak Falls Barrow!" He took hold of it and wiped off the dust and grime. He smiled and almost squealed like a child when he looked at the ancient etchings in the stone.

"Seems you are a cut above the usual brutes the Jarl sends my way." Farengar smiled. "My... associate here will be pleased to see your handiwork. She discovered its location, by means, she has so far declined to share with me." The wizard gave the strange woman a wary look. "So your information was correct after all. And we have our friend here to thank for recovering it for us."