Chapter Five: Ancient Tombs

Eerika left Dragonsreach, stepping into the cool evening breeze as it blew across the large expanse of the tundra and up the small mountain. She turned to the market that was held in town earlier that day, but most of the vendors had already left to retire for the night. Eerika walked into the empty market and saw a lone woman closing the boards to a small stall filled with fruits and vegetables. 

She asked the vendor where she could spend the night in the city. The woman then pointed to a building on a small hill across the market. "Go to the Bannered Mare. They have food, drink, and beds for rent." Eerika then thanked her and turned to the inn.

As she walked inside the wooden doors, she was welcomed by the jolly laughter of men, the giggles of women, along with the many rosy cheeks that scattered the hall. A lute was being played loudly, gaining tempo as a woman danced her way across the room, picking up men and trailing them around the central hearth. 

Eerika scooted by the many drunkards to the counter where a woman stood there, cleaning the countertops, laughing along with a man as he eagerly leaned across the counter to speak. As she sat down next to the man, she noticed that his armor was dampened by mead as it trickled down his chin.

"Alright, Jon, I think it's time you head home." The innkeeper advised to the man next to Eerika. He was half falling off his chair and giggling like a schoolgirl in between his large hiccups. The woman shouted across the room, "Oi, Belethor!"

A man whipped around, a bottle of wine gripped in his hand. "Mmmm... Yyyeas, M' lady?"

The innkeeper chuckled lightly and shouted back, "I need you to take Jon home! At least before he mistakes the pigpen for his bed again!"

Belethor smiled "He won't know the difference between a pigpen and a bed, not while he's this drunk, Hulda." He looked over at Jon, who was practically cuddling Eerika as he was falling asleep, spilling his drink all over her lap.

"Just do it," Hulda said, rolling her eyes, laughing all the while.

Belethor took one last gulp of his wine and set it down with a large THUMP. He swaggered his way over to Jon, nodding at every lady he passed. When he approached, he rested his arm on the counter with a grunt and rested his chin on the heel of his hand. "Alright. How's it going, Jon?"

The drunk replied with a grumble and a half-smile.

Belethor smiled brightly in return. "Let's get you home." He groaned as he hoisted Jon off of Eerika and onto his feet.

"Hmm... byeee..." Jon muttered to her as he was pulled away from her.

As the two men left the inn, it started to get a little quieter, people finishing off their drinks and saying their goodbyes. Hulda left the counter to go around and pick up bottles and tankards. After she was done, she approached Eerika with a tower of dishes in her arms. She looked the wanderer up and down before commenting, "Tough week, huh?"

Eerika chuckled. "You have no idea."

The woman smiled. "Here, a nice bottle of Honningbrew Mead. On the house. Consider it an apology for my... Customer."

She handed Eerika the drink, making her smile. "Thank you."

"I see you've met Jon Battle-Born." The keeper chuckled.

"Yeah. He's a regular, I expect." Eerika said while sipping at the mead, feeling it leave a warm sensation down the back of her throat. She would be lying if she said that she missed the feeling of the mead in her blood. 

"Yeah, I guess so... So, do you need a room, or you just drinking away the night here at the counter?" The keeper laughed.