Chapter 10

Amanda's P.O.V

THANK GOD! We were finally out of that awful place. I could just feel the weight of being in that awful place just flew off my shoulders. I looked at Mary and Terri. They both seemed pretty happy to be out. But one thing was bothering me. Genocide's name. Ivy Walker. Then later shortly after her birth changed to Ivy Carriedo. Why?

"Amanda?" Mary and Terri said in union. Concern clear on there faces. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Why do you ask?" I reply. Mary opens her mouth to say something along the lines of: no reason. But, of course, Terri had to make a remark.

"You're obviously not okay. Tell us the truth," Terri says nonchalantly. "Something is clearly wrong with you."

I look at her. Not a glare. But not just an ordinary look either. I'm studying her face, as if it's the last time I'm going to see it. She tilts her head slightly to the side. She's reading me, looking into my soul.

"It's about Ivy isn't it?" Terri concludes as she sets her head up straight again. Mary looks to Terri, then to me.

"Well...... Yeah. It is. But it's not a big deal! I'm just--" I struggle at the last word.

"Suspicious?" Terri finishes for me. I look at her again. She looks older, wiser. So grown up.

"We can talk about this later Terri. Right we have to get home and read these documents."

We all silently nod in agreement as we make our way to my house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't believe I believe what I'm reading....... The papers aren't just documents like birth certificates, their pages of Ivy's old dairy.

They don't really have any dates on them. But one in specific caught my eye. It goes as follows:

The 'White Coats" are taking me away today. They say that I'm not a normal little girl. But I believe that I am. So what if I hear voices! Those voices comfort me. Tell I'm normal. Especially one of the male voices. He's like a dad. A dad I never really had a chance to have. I always asked my mommy, "where did daddy go?" But she never answers. She tells me that David is my father. But that's not true. I look nothing like him. And doesn't treat me like a daughter. He treats me like a stranger. I hate him.

Mommy's crying downstairs begging them to leave me be. David telling mommy to be quiet. I wish I could get rid of him. That way mommy would be happy. They're starting to come upstairs and--

That's it. I just abruptly ends.
I looked sadly at the page. This "David" guy sound less like a step-dad and more like a step-douche. Then I look at her Asylum documents.

Name: Ivy Carriedo

Age: 12

Reasons for being brought: Ivy apparently believes that she can hear multiple voices both male and female in her head. She even once admitted to having a "lovely" dream where she killed her step-father David.

Nationality: Hispanic mix

Appearance: long black hair, light skin, and two different color eyes. Green(left), blue(right).

Strange. Two different color eyes. I didn't expect that. I keep looking through the documents when Terri hands me another paper.

"You should read this," Terri announces as she hands the paper to me. "You'll find what you see interesting."

I mutely take the paper. It's another page of Ivy's dairy. Again there was no date. But certain parts of the paper looks when, and smudged. As if. . .

As if someone had been crying when they wrote this.

And it goes as follows:

The "White Coats" said that they were going to make me better. They lied. I found out the truth. My real daddy didn't really want me. I was never supposed to be born.

David was the one who told my mommy that I was crazy, and I should be sent away for "help". But he didn't want to help me. He just wanted me gone. And he got what he wanted. Both my "daddies" did. I hate them both. I don't know how or when but I will get my revenge. I'll save my mother from David.

And make my true father's life miserable.

I stared at the paper a bit longer. That's awful. He real father didn't want her. And step-father was taking her mother from her. Ivy's world was just falling apart. I handed the paper to Mary and told her to read it as I kept looking at the other documents. I look at her birth certificate. Born October 13, 1996. That would make Ivy at least 4 years older than me. So she is at least twenty years old now. Next to me I hear Mary gasp. I turn to look at her. She looks so sad. Then I hear Terri shuffling through all the papers like she's looking for something. She rereads each one. Then she looks at me.

"Amanda. The day that Ivy escaped isn't actually available. There is no real set date and time," Terri exclaims putting extra emphases into the last part.

"I'll call Lisa. We haven't spoken in months. And besides she seems to know a whole awful lot about Genocide."

I pick up my phone and start to call her. I expect a happy voice to chirp: "Amanda it's you!" but I get the sad voice of Lisa's mother instead. Mrs. Jones.

"Hello. Who is this?" Mrs. Jones asks. My God, she sounds awful.

"It's me Amanda. Where is Lisa? I really need to speak with her." I reply urgently.

"Oh my God. You didn't hear?" Mrs. Jones asks me. God her voice sounds close to tears.

"Hear about what?" I try to say casually. But my voice is shaking. It refuses to stay steady.

"Lisa has been missing for a while now. Just a little bit before you left." She replies. She's sobbing now.

I open my mouth to speak, but I can't find any words. Oh God, Lisa. Wait a minute. Lisa went missing a little bit before I left. If that's true then how did she text me only a few nights prior?

But I already knew the answer to the question.