Chapter 17

I'M BACK! Sorry it took me so long to upload -- I've been over my head with stuff. Yesterday was skating, the day before was homework, but.... HERE I AM!

I introduced my friend to Wattpad. She's still doesn't get it, even though I explained it to her many times. :']

That night, Harry, Ron, and I stunk out under his invisibility cloak (Which he had received on Christmas. The thing was, he didn't know who it was from.) but we had to go very slow. We tried retracing Harry's route from the library, wandering around the dark passageways for nearly an hour.

"I'm freezing." said Ron. "Let's forget it and go back."

"No!" Harry hissed. "I know it's here somewhere."

We passed the ghost of a tall witch gliding in the opposite direction, but saw no one else. Just as Ron started moaning that his feet were dead with cold, I spotted the suit of armor Harry described.

"Hey Harry, is that suit the one you saw last night?" I asked him.

 "Yes -- It's here -- just here -- yes!" He said excitedly.

We pushed the door open. Harry dropped the cloak from around his shoulders and ran to the mirror.

"See?" Harry whispered. I looked at the mirror and saw nothing.

"I can't see anything." Ron and I said at the same time. I glared at him.

"Look! Look at them all... There are loads of them...." Harry insisted.

"I can only see you." Ron said.

"Yeah dude." I agreed.

"Look in it properly, go on, stand where I am." Harry stepped aside. Ron was staring transfixed at his image.

"Look at me!" he said.

"Can you see all your family standing around you?" Harry asked eagerly.

"No -- I'm alone -- but I'm different -- I look older -- and I'm head boy!" Ron said.

"What?"

"I am -- I'm wearing the badge like Bill used to -- and I'm holding the house cup and the Quidditch cup-- I'm Quidditch captain, too." Ron tore his eyes away from this splendid sight to look excitedly at us. "Do you think this mirror shows the future?"

"Lemme have a look!" I said pushing Ron out of the way.

I almost cried at the sight.

I was there. And Draco. And my parents, too. But the thing was, my friends were there. And my family accepted them. Draco was standing right next to Ron and neither of them looked uncomfortable. Mum's hand was on Hermione and I's shoulders. And Harry was standing next to my dad. We were all smiling.

But I knew, deep down, this could never happen.

"Do you see your family of the future?" Harry asked.

"I see my family, yes." I said. Harry beamed. "But you guys are there too -- and Hermione -- and everyone's getting along."

I glanced upward a little and noticed writing at the top of the mirror:

Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi.

"I show not your face, but your hearts desire." I said quietly.

"What?" Harry asked.

"Nothing." I said quickly. He probably knew already.

I stepped aside and sat down beside a desk. I put my hands in my face. Seeing that.... it upset quite a bit. I wanted that -- I wanted it a lot.

But it will never be true.

I was vaguely aware of Ron and Harry fighting over something. Then they got louder and louder....

A sudden noise outside in the corridor put an end to their discussion. They hadn't realized how loudly they had been talking. 

I got up and grabbed the cloak.

"You fools!" I tossed it over us. The luminous eyes of Mrs. Norris came round the door.

We stood as still as possible. Did the cloak fool cats? After a while, she turned and left.

"This isn't safe -- she might have gone for Filch, I bet she heard us. Come on." I said. We hurried back to the tower. Harry and Ron said goodnight to me and went to the boys' dorm. I slowly walked up the steps to my dorm and crawled into bed. I was the only one in my dorm.

"Hermione, why aren't you ever around when I need you?" I asked quietly into the night.

The snow still hadn't melted the next morning.

"Want to play chess, Harry?" said Ron.

"No." Harry said rather sharply.

"Jinx?"

"Nah. I'm no good at chess. The house elf tried to teach me. I failed miserably." I said.

"House elf?" Harry asked.

"A creature who does all the house work and stuff." I said shrugging. "Dobby and I were good friends."

Something came across my mind...

Dobby doesn't know I escaped!

He must think I've fallen out my window or something!

"I have a letter to write!" I said quickly. I ran and got some parchment and a quill.

Dobby,

I'm alive. I've escaped. I'm at Hogwarts. I will never be able to come home again. Mum and Dad cannot know I'm alive. So, this is goodbye. You're my best friend. Love you, Dobs.

Jinx Not-So-Malfoy

P.S. Yes, I am keeping Malfoy as my last name. Perhaps I will be able to bring shame to the family name.

I ran to the Owlery and told it to take it to my bedroom, but it was not to be seen.

I ran back to the common room and collapsed into my chair.

"What was that about?" Ron asked.

"Nothing. Just sending a letter I meant to earlier." I said casually. It was a dangerous move. That owl could get intercepted by my parents.

"Why don't we go down and visit Hagrid?" Ron suggested.

"No... you go." Harry said again.

"I know what you're thinking about, Harry, that mirror. Don't go back tonight."

"Why not?"

"I dunno, I've just got a bad feeling about it -- and anyway, you've had too many close shaves already. Filch, Snape, and Mrs. Norris are wandering around. So what if they can't see you? What if they walk into you? What if you knock something over?"

"You sound like Hermione."

"And Hermione always knows best." I said.

"I'm serious, Harry, don't go." Ron said.

But it was obvious Harry wasn't going to listen to us.

The next morning, Harry told us that he had gone back to the mirror, but this time, Dumbledore was there. He said that Dumbledore said that the mirror showed you what you really wanted.

"You didn't know that?" I asked between bites of pancake.

"You knew?"

"You didn't?"

"How'd you find out?"

"It was on the top. 'I show not your face bout your hearts desire', except it was backwards. It took a little decoding, but I got it." They stared at me in awe. "What?"

"You're as smart as Hermione." Ron said.

"Thanks?"