Chapter 1

I laid on my bed, reading the book I had stolen from that room in the basement years ago.

See, I had always been fascinated with magic. I couldn't wait till Hogwarts. So one day while I was home alone I stole mum's old wand, which she keeps on a shelf high above the mantle, and an old spellbook. I flipped though it and found a spell that opens almost any locked door. Curious, I went to the basement. I found the large, locked door that I had always wondered about. What was behind that door? I had never heard any noises from it so I assumed it was safe. I muttered the spell and tapped the door. I tried the handle and finally, the mysterious door was unlocked. Cautiously, I had opened it. I peered inside and saw one thing only: a single book. I grabbed the book and ran. I returned the spellbook and wand and dashed to my room before anyone knew the wiser. 

I had always been against muggle-borns until I read the book. It was full of insightful stories and history! It immediately changed my perspective. I never dared to show it to my twin brother Draco. He was set on muggle-borns being rubbish from the second our parents told us. I never dared to tell anyone about the book. My parents would punish me for reading it.

So I acted like a "Proper Pure-blood" and was only my true self when I was alone. I knew things were going to take a change for the worse when I got to Hogwarts. Today was the day we were getting our stuff from Diagon Alley.

I closed my book and hopped off the bed. Most of my room was stripped and bare. I was only going to be spending two months out of a year here now. I left a few things around, but most of my stuff was going to Hogwarts with me. I sighed and looked down at my outfit.

Mum had forced me into her old Slytherin robes. I didn't want to wear them, but she insisted. She even turned my old Converse's green. They were red before.

"Jessica! Draco! It's time to go!" Mum called from downstairs.

"My name's Jinx." I muttered as a walked down the stairs. I had been calling myself Jinx for as long as I could remember. No one else obliged to call me that, however.

We apparated into the Leaky Cauldron.

"Morning Lucius." Tom, the bar dude, greeted my father.

"Tom." My father said pompously.

I held my head high and acted all snotty-like. It was something I was forced to do in public.

"You're a Malfoy. We have money and power. People need to know that from looking at you." My mother had told me. I hated it.

We walked into Diagon Alley. Father went to get our books, Mum went to look at wands, and Draco and I went to Madam Malkin's for our robes.

I sat to the side. I had gotten my robes and now it was Draco's turn. He was talking to a boy with broken round glasses and messy black hair.

"My entire family has been in Slytherin...." My brother was telling the boy. Madam had the boy turn around. His hair slightly ajar, I saw his forehead.

I clapped my hand over my mouth. It was Harry Potter.