chapter 21: danger

Start from the beginning

He grabbed my hair, pulling my head up to his face. Before my very eyes, right on top of me, he was suddenly a snarling, leathery looking K9. His clothes shredded and burst around me. He pierced his sharp claws into my shoulder. I let out a shocked gasp. It hurt. This actually hurt! His sharp claws penetrated deep into my marble body.

He still held my head up by the hair with his giant paw. Vampire bites and werewolf claws hurt me, that was a fact now. What if he bit me? Would it be just like when another vampire did? I looked at his teeth, twenty times sharper then any vampire's I've ever met. It would be worse. He knew this. I couldn't move, couldn't fight back. He yanked his claws out of me, standing up and holding me by the throat now. I gasped again, letting out a scream.

He dug his claws deep into my other shoulder now. My arms would be useless. They were even stronger then I expected. I regretted underestimating any of them. Just because Shane was gentle with me, didn't mean the others wouldn't be dangerous.

By some miracle I saw a flash and the werewolf was so far away from me now. I fell forward, not able to catch myself I landed with a thud on the pavement. From there I didn't move. I couldn't. The pain seemed to have completely silenced me. No one came after me, no one attacked me. Where had they gone?

I consentrated. Their scent was very slowly becoming distant. I was trying to consentrate so hard that I jumped when hot arms were around me. I cringed. But by the way they were being gentle I knew it was Shane. I couldn't tell which form he was in though. My vampire senses seemed to have faded slightly. Just like when I was too thirsty to think about anything else.

I heard a car door slam. A moment later I heard rustling, another car door slammed. More rustling and another car door slammed, but it was farther back. The tunk? Someone was beside me. Yet another car door slammed. He started the car, breathing heavily and pulled out of the parking lot with a jerk.

"Kale's going to kill me!" He spat angrily at himself. "At least they didn't take her...or worse..." He muttere to himself then he swallowed hard. "Jamie?" His voice came out terrified as he grabbed my hand. "Jamie? Ca-can you hear me?"

With effort I nodded, but weakly. Human or vampire, this was always going to happen to me! Never ending, that's all this was!

"Can you feel this?" He continued. I frowned. "My hand, on yours?"

With more effort I shook my head.

"Tell me when you can." He choked out.

A few moments passed and I let out another gasp. He was just below the wound on my shoulder. He pulled away quickly.

"Sorry!" He seemed to cry out.

I felt the car speed up. He touched the base of my neck. I nodded. He touched my face. I nodded again.

"I'm just making sure he didn't get you anywhere else." He told me in a nervous voice.

His hand came back past my neck, moving down and around my body. Kale was already going to be angry, he didn't need to find out about this. I cringed but nodded as he paused over every inch of my body. His hands shook slightly when he passed over certain parts of my body. He also left his trembling hands on those spots longer then nessasary.

"Shane..." I was able to let out once or twice weakly.

"Sorry." He would apologize.

I kept my eyes shut. He finally took his hand away from me. The pain wasn't subsiding. I still couldn't feel either of my arms.

"They will heal, I promise."

"The pain?" I breathed.

"I don't know, Jamie. Hours, days, weeks. You're a vampire, you heal much different then shapeshifters or us." He spit out, disgusted. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have attacked Milo and left you."