chapter 19: problems

The wedding night came quickier then I was expecting. Anya had talked me into staying with her and Jason the night before. The empty feeling was still inside me as always. It didn't help that the wedding was the very next day! I was sitting at the kitchen counter, impatiently drumming my fingers on the counter.

"Have you fed at all?" Jason asked as he cooked dinner for his pack.

It smelt good but nothing I was interested in of course. They always had pretty big dinners at least twice a week. They called it the "gathering," where they all got together and informed eachother of what was going on with themselves. It was like a family dinner in a way, only somewhat different considering they were a pack of wolves.

"Right before I came here." I spoke absent mindedly.

Jason's cell phone suddenly rang. As soon as he answered it I heard Jacob's voice.

"Sure." Jason said to Jake then handed me the phone.

"Hi Jake."

"Hey Jamie..." He sounded nervous. If he wanted to talk to me why didn't he just call my phone?

"What's going on Jacob?" I frowned at the sound of his voice.

"Oh I just need to ask you a question..."

"Okay...?"

"Ummm," He cleared his throat. "You do plan on showing up tommorow, right?"

"Jeez Jacob!" I sighed.

"I'm just making sure."

"You're making sure or Kale is?" He didn't say anything. I sighed again. "Tell Kale I love him and I'll see him tommorow."

"Will do...Oh, wait. He heard you." He laughed.

"Of course he did--" I began to mutter.

"I love you too, Jamie." Kale's voice cut me off.

Hearing his voice sent chills through me. Being away from him again was almost too much. We stayed on the phone until we were both forced off. Shane and Jacob were complaining in the background. Anya and Jason were doing the same.

That morning I had a dream that Jake, Shane and Anabelle completely ruined the wedding. It was aweful. I woke up from my dream just as the sun had set. Anya was in my room seconds after.

"We have three hours to get you ready." She grinned.

The wedding was actually a couple hours away in an open field that me and Kale found. I sighed, getting up and following her into the bathroom.

~~~~~~~~

I was fidgeting as I stood inside the white tent. We had arrived long before anyone else. No one saw me. As I waited I heard everyone begin to arrive. I began to pace. Anya grabbed my arm, trying her best to hold me in place.

"Deep breathes, dolcetto." She told me softly.

Then I heard all three of them show up.

"Come in." I said before they could even ask.

One at a time they entered, gasping as they did. I didn't really need them to react that way. William was the only one that just smiled when he saw me.

"I think Kale might just be the first vampire to die from lack of breath." William teased.

Shane nodded as Jacob gawked. I didn't look at myself in the mirror before I left. I looked at Anya. What had she done to me? She just smiled.

"Give it to her." William suddenly ordered after a moment.

"Oh. We got you something." Jake shook his head, snapping himself out of staring at me like that. Shane handed me a box. I opened it, seeing a necklace with three hearts, one inside of the other. It was obvious what the meaning behind it was. Each heart stood for one of them.