chapter 7: run

I woke up once, while the sun was still out. I could tell because there was actually a fairly large window above the bed with a tiny bit of light peeking through the dark curtain. But then I fell back asleep almost instantly.

When I woke up again, it was darker. The sun must have just went down. I was also cooler then I had been earlier. It was so hot down here. There was a growling noise coming from somewhere in the room. It wasn't Jake because I suddenly figured out why I was so cool.

I actually had my head rested against his chest, his arm was around me and my arm was around him. I moved away from him. As I did I saw the growling figure on Jake's side, not too far from the bed. My heart lept in a million different directions. I got an instant familiar feeling.

"Kale?" I breathed, hopeful. The growling stopped. He looked at me. My eyes finally adjusted enough to the dark. "Kale!" I flew out of the bed, over Jake and into his arms. "Kale!" I repeated. "You came!"

"I'll always come for you, Jamie. Always." He finally answered. There was sudden movement and Jake sat up.

"Kale?" He asked, sounding confused for an instant. "Oh, finally!" He jumped out of bed and turned on the lights.

The only reason the lights were being turned on was because of me. I looked up at Kale, whose eyes were a dark shade of blue. His dark hair was tossled. His pale skin was dirty.

"Where's Dante?" Jake asked.

"He took off trying to re-group." Kale answered, gazing down at me. I looked up, meeting his eyes. He smiled at me. Then he looked at Jake angrily.

"How'd you end up here?"

Jake took a step back and shrugged.

"Safest place I could think of."

Kale let out a hmph sound.

"But it is. And they're nice too." I defended. He looked back down at me.

"You feel safe here?" He asked carefully. I nodded.

"I do."

He continued to gaze down at me, then sighed.

"Do you think you'll feel safe for a few more days?" He asked quietly. His eyes shifted to Jake who suddenly decided to leave the room.

"Are you leaving again?" I asked, grabbing onto his arms.

"I have to." He breathed into me.

"Please don't." I heard my voice break. He swallowed.

"Jamie, I want to protect you but to do that I have to leave--"

"No." I shook my head, interrupting him.

"I'm sorry." He whispered.

"Kale--"

"Oh, Jamie. I'll be back to check up on you, I promise." He brushed the hair out of my face. "I love you. You know that, don't you?"

I nodded.

"I love you too." I could hardly whisper.

His hands cradled my face and he kissed my lips softly for the longest time. My heart was still drumming around in my chest. His hands slid down to my waist, pulling me to him. We finally pulled away, he kept his arms around me.

"I'm glad I came. I thought seeing you would be hard but Jamie. My Jamie. You look so beautiful." He breathed. I blushed. He smiled.

"There it is." He grinned. I pulled myself closer to him, digging my face into his chest, taking in his scent.