"Don't worry, I'm alright now," I tried to say but the words came out strangled and she immediately tried to pull away. "Oh my god, your chest. I'm so sorry I didn't even think about it." I could have done myself a favor and let go but I held on tighter, I really could do with holding her right now even if it hurt like a bitch. "It's fine, I'm fine. It doesn't hurt." We both knew I was talking pure bullshit but she played along even if I could feel her intentionally shift her weight so she was barely touching me.

It felt like her warmth sunk into my bones as she hugged me and as painful as it might have been hugging her it hurt more letting her go even if she only pulled back enough to look at me. The smile on her face was more radiant than I'd ever seen it before and my heart nearly stopped looking at it but what did worse things to me was seeing the dark bruises on the side of her face. Then there was the marks in the form of a handprint on her throat.

I reached out to touch them and she pulled further back, untucking her hair from behind her ear and further zipping up her jacket to cover the marks.

"I'll fucking kill him. I swear even if he's in jail I'll fucking kill him." I spoke through gritted teeth to stop myself from shouting and Jet put a warm hand on my cheek with a look in her eyes that I knew was meant to calm me. "Gee, I killed him. H-he, he tried to rape me. Again, and I killed him. He'll never be able to hurt anyone again." Oh God, that's what had happened. I'd passed out and he tried to take her with him, or at least have some fun before he murdered her.

"He didn't, he didn't actually..."

"No, no I promise. I nearly let him, but I knew you'd been shot and he was going probably to kill me anyway once he got bored. I suppose I just wanted to go down fighting but I picked up the gun and next thing I know he's dead." Biting her lip she lowered her eyes and I watched her take a deep breath, her shoulders rising and falling before she looked back up at me. "I nearly lost you. All the doctors were saying that if I didn't have enough medical knowledge you would have died. After he shot you in the leg, when he was dragging me away he shot you in the chest. I guess it was how much I was fighting that didn't let him get a good aim." Her soft voice began to grow hoarse with each worse she spoke and her hand dropped. "The bullet punctured your right lung, it went clean through and then your lung started to collapse...I manage to keep it covered so you could still breathe but you were so pale from blood loss and th-th-then your heart stopped."

Without warning she began to sob, her body shaking and tears pouring down her cheeks.

"I was so scared. I've never been that scared before. All I could think about was that I couldn't lose another person I love." She moved towards me once more, wrapping her arms around my neck and burying her face against my chest, her wet cheeks feeling warm on my skin. I felt almost as if if I couldn't breathe but not because there was a hole in my chest or my lung or whatever. "Gerard, I love you."

I'd never heard anyone say that to me before and I'd imagined of hearing it from her. The girl I'd been head over heels in love with since I was eleven, who I'd never dared dream of hoping to see her again, loved me back.

"I love you too, Jet." I kissed the top of her head and tried to resist smiling at the scent that wafted up from her hair. She smelled like coffee and vanilla, like a coffee shop."God, I love you."

I let go of her so she could wipe her eyes and cheeks with the sleeves of her shirt, smudging the little makeup she had on and I couldn't help but smile that little bit more at the sight of her. She couldn't have looked more beautiful if she tried.
When Jet noticed me openly staring at her, her cheeks changed color, going from a pale pink to bright red in a second and she quickly lowered her eyes. Looking away from me and letting her hair fall around her face. It was easy to forget how shy she could be.