Gee's Epilogue

We all fall down,
We all get through somehow.

beep, beep, beep.

My vision was hazy as I opened my eyes and my ears were almost numb from the repetitive sounds of the machine beside me and the monotone droning of a news reporter. Worse yet was the aching in my chest and I winced as I dragged in a breath, a sharp pain being set off in my lungs. My throat was too dry and sore for me to bother trying to swear and I focused on trying adjust my eyes to the dim, white room around me that was barely lit by the light from a television.

'-in Monroeville, New Jersey last week with only two survivors. Medical school student Juliet Ridley and who turned to be her first patient Gerard Way. I have to tell you I was following this story all day from home and I think I speak for all of us Danny, when I say that this was an absolute tragedy.' It was the nine o'clock news, playing loud enough that I couldn't ignore it and I clenched my hands into fists as I watched the horrible images playing across the screen.

Body bags were being wheeled out on stretchers and the people that had gathered around the bank were either crying or just staring in shock.

'Yes Carol it certainly was and our hearts go out to all the families and friends affected by this. Now just a couple of hours ago we had a spotlight on this story and experts had a discussion on the motives behind this shocking crime. Was is a bank robbery gone wrong, a premeditated mass homicide or both?'

I saw someone I vaguely recognized as myself on a stretcher but at the same time it didn't look like me. I'd been strapped to a board so I couldn't move but I was unconscious and there was blood staining all my clothes and the blond in my hair. My ears stopped hearing the words and I was almost blind to anything else as I tried to find Jet in the video, I remembered seeing her before things went black but I wanted to know she got out of there.

Almost as if on cue I saw her walking across the screen, quickly following after me of all things. Her jeans covered in blood and without any concerns for protocol she climbed into the back of the ambulance, crossing her arms and turning her face away from the cameras. It hurt to sigh but I needed to do it that badly knowing she was okay that it was worth it. I'd nearly gotten her killed, I should have made her leave when we went to the jewelry store, if I did none of this would have happened.

'-the memorial will be held this Saturday.' God I can't listen to this. I struggled to sit up and looked around for a remote to turn it off. I know I fucked up, I didn't want to hear any more of it. There's probably a line a mile long outside waiting for their chance to kick my ass, I know I'd do the same thing if my brother got killed by a fucking idiot.

Looking to my side I almost felt my heart stop for a moment, there in the chair beside my bed was Jet, curled up into what was likely the worlds most uncomfortable position with her head barely resting on the bed and the bedsheets clutched in her hand like a lifeline.

What on earth did I do to deserve waking up to her?

Almost like I was in a daze I reached out to touch her, to see if she was actually real of if these entire world around me was an illusion and I'd gotten what I deserved back in the bank. My fingers touched her black hair, soft and messy but as beautiful as ever. Moving my arm too much I felt my elbow bump something and before I could stop it the television remote was knocked off the bed and hit the ground with a loud clatter. "Fuck!" I said unthinkingly, my sore throat immediately making me regret it and the sound making Jet stir. Shit, she's probably gotten barely any sleep as it is with all the press that'd be trying to get her story and I just woke her up.

"Gerard?" She muttered sleepily, lifting her head and as I watched her gorgeous eyes focus on me they went wide and she squealed way louder than any other sound I'd made. "Gee, you're awake! I was so worried about you, you've been unconscious for a week." The worlds all poured out at once, some stumbling over each other and before I could even properly register what she was doing she'd climbed out of the chair and flung her arms around me. The pain from the sudden weight on my chest almost made me stop breathing but I choked back any sounds and managed to put my arm around her waist. She felt like she'd lost a lot of weight.