Chapter 19~ 200 Cupcakes and 1000 More Tears

"Hey beautiful, any plans for tonight?" Ethan asked as I shoved the last of my filing-- well, at least, the last of that pile of filing-- back into the cabinet.

"Not really." I admitted, running a hand through my loose, unkempt hair. "Probably just staying in bed with plenty of ice-cream, chocolates and DVDs." After my conversation with Noah last night I'd been unable to fall asleep again, and all I wanted to do was get through this day so I could hibernate in my bed and wallow in my own misery. Ethan had found me laying in a puddle of my own tears when he'd woken up this morning, and he'd all but threatened me into telling him what was wrong.

"Oh really?" Ethan asked me as he closed the door of my office behind him. "You really think I'm going to let you have a pity party tonight?"

I sighed. I had a feeling he'd say that. "I mean, I was hoping you would."

Ethan rolled his eyes and pulled his phone from his pocket, scrolling through something that I couldn't see. "How about an actual party instead?" He questioned with a smirk, continuing to tap away on his phone.

"I don't know, Ethan. After what happened last night I--"

"--Need a distraction. And some fun." Ethan cut me off, finally looking up from the screen. "Look, break ups suck, I get it, but you can't just stop living."

Hearing someone else state the idea that my relationship with Noah was over only made me feel more depressed, and I slunk down into my chair miserably. I wanted to cry and yell and scream all at once, but the only socially acceptable thing I could do at the moment was frown. "When did you become such a smart alec." I muttered under my breath, crossing my arms.

Ethan chuckled. "What if I told you the party tonight is my birthday party?"

I dropped my pen on the table and looked up at Ethan, suddenly forgetting my woes. "It's your birthday today? Why didn't you tell me, idiot!"

Ethan raised his hands in surrender, a smile curling on his lips. "It never came up. Now please, to make up for not wishing me a happy birthday, will you come to the party tonight?"

Ice-cream, DVDs and heartbreak would just have to wait. I rolled my eyes. "Of course I will, you doofus, I wouldn't miss it for the world. Happy birthday Ethan."

He grinned and thanked me just as Tina yelled out for another coffee run. I pushed the chair out from behind the desk and stood up, giving Ethan a salute as he opened the door for me. "Duty calls." I murmured, rushing to each office to take orders.

Fifteen minutes later I returned with fifteen coffees, all from Kerri's now instead of Starbucks since it gave her more business and I got an employee discount, and two-hundred red velvet cupcakes from a little bakery Google maps had helped me locate a few blocks away.

I pushed open the door to the conference room where I knew Ethan would be, balancing the tray of cupcakes in one hand. Each cupcake held a single lit candle. Sure, it was a little lame, but it was the best I could do on short notice.

I plastered a fake smile onto my face and stared down at the cakes, being careful not to drop any as I started to sing. "Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Eth-- oh."

I stopped singing immediately. The conference room was filled with at least twenty businessmen, who were each equipped with eyeglasses, briefcases and notepads. A man who was giving some sort of presentation to the group turned to stare at me, and everyone sat around the table followed soon after. There was a silence as my cheeks flamed red, and I stood shocked like a dear in the headlights.