Taking a Risk

It was Friday, one day before the big soccer tournament. Abby went to school like normal, but was heavily pondering. Since last Friday, she couldn’t stop thinking of that boy, and, more over, his wish.

“I…I want my best friend back.”

Well, who was his best friend, and where did they go? She wasn't really dead, was she? It nagged at her mind, like she had to remember. She was walking to her sixth period class when a deep voice called out, “Hey, Abbs! What’s up?” Keith started to walk slowly next to her. Abby hated that he would call to her as if she was some muscle he wanted to show off. Abbs? Really? She sent a glare at him, “Go away, Keith. If you can’t get my name right then don’t even try talking to me. Why don’t you go suck some slutty cheerleaders face or something.”

He nervously laughed, “Hah, you’re funny, babe.”

Don’t call me babe.” She started to walk faster. Why wouldn’t this loser go away?

He put up his hands defensively, “Ok, ok. Sorry. But you’re gonna love hearing what we did to those loser Basshunters.” Abby abruptly stopped, turning to him with panic in her voice, “What?”

He smiled, “Yeah it was pretty good, if I do say so myself, but I’ll only tell you if you go out with me.” She stepped closer to him, angry. “Keith. What. Did. You. Do?”

“Ok, ok. You know, you can be really scary sometimes, babe.”

Keith!”

“Fine! We spray-painted ‘Suck our Di*ks, losers’ on that wall next to their soccer field. Completely visible. Funny, right? It’s freakin hilarious!” All the emotion drained from her face, leaving it pale white. “You what?”

“Hah, yeah. They’ll see it when they practice today. That’ll surely lower their self-esteem!”

“Idiot! How the hell would that lower their freakin self-esteem?!

Keith was taken a bit aback, feeling frightened by Abby’s outburst of rage, “I-I don’t know...”

Gawd, why are you so freakin stupid?!” she sighed, “They didn’t even do anything to us! We won against them, remember? So, there’s no need for ‘payback’. Think about it. If they didn’t do anything to us, then why do we call it payback? They didn’t do anything!”

Keith was annoyed about how she defended the enemy, “Well, whatever. Don’t get involved with those losers. I don’t want it going around that my girl is siding with the enemy.” He turned and walked into his next class, leaving her in the middle of the empty hallway.

“I’m not your girl!” She shouted, at no one. How could Keith do this? Especially when the guys from Bearing weren’t all bad?! That settles it, she thought, I’ll have to bridge this giant gap that Keith has made between himself and Bearing...somehow.

Ignoring the minor detail that she had sixth period Math at that moment, and that Mr. Stregnant wasn’t the friendliest of teachers, Abby headed straight for the cafeteria, where she was sure all the EnAct-(Environmental Action)-members were. She was going to do something that might just make her the Basshunters number one person to hate, even that one guy...but she had to. Her little Georgy would never forgive her if she didn’t do something to help her own school. Her little Georgy would never just sit and watch a fight unfold before him.

You’re right, she thought when Georgy’s actions filled her mind, and I’ll follow your example.

Just watch me.

...But something at the back of her mind hoped...pleaded, that the boy she saw wouldn’t think so poorly of her.