Goodbye Stranger

Abby didn’t know what to make of that.

“What happened?” Her eyes grew wide as his closed, sadly.

“She died,” he whispered. Abby gasped, like it wasn’t right.

Sure, she wanted to help him, especially when he looked all sad like that, but she doubted that she could bring someone back to life. She didn’t know why, but some deep part of her wanted to make his wish come true, to make him happy, like her entire life depended on it. Frankly, she was frightened by it. Abby waited for him to continue, but he just looked back up to the empty sky, faintly smiling.

A roar erupted from the football field. All of the people in blue jumped up yelling and cheering, while all those in red remained silent and seemed to slunk down a bit.

Cornwall must’ve won.

“We should get back.” His voice startled Abby, who was staring off to the field, and she turned to face him. He was smiling.

“You might’ve won today, Cornwall, but you’re going down in the tournament.”

He was talking about the soccer tournament. Abby smirked at him, raising an eyebrow.

“Oh really? Well, your on, Basshunter. We’ll kick your butt and then some.”

Abby felt relieved, like she was herself again. He raised his eyebrow in response.

“Oh? For a small girl, you talk a lot of smack. Let’s just see if that smack doesn’t get slammed back in your face with our victory.” Abby started to laugh at that, and he laughed too.

“Here,” she said; tossing him the extra water bottle she bought. Maybe the reason she got it was to give to him, she thought. He caught it with one hand-impressive-and looked at her with a confused look on his face.

She shrugged, “I got two, and I’m definitely not gonna drink it, so take it.”

“Thanks,” he smiled. Her eyes softened at his smile.

“No problem.”

They both walked back to the game, where they could see people leaving the stands, signaling game over. Walking through the gate they came out of, Abby spotted her friends all looking around, probably looking for her. She started to walk over to them before she turned around. She saw the boy more clearly now, in the light. His hair was sandy-blonde and he wore a red jacket over some dark jeans. She stared at the back of his head as he walked toward a big guy wearing a red shirt and blue jeans, yelling to him: “Don’t worry, dude! We might’ve lost, but we’ll beat em at the tournament! Fer sure!"

That’s right! I almost forgot, she thought. Putting both her hands around her mouth, she yelled to him, “See you at the tournament, Basshunter!”

He turned back to her, but he was too far away for her to see him clearly. Once she saw him flash a bright smile, and a thumbs-up, she smiled just as big and turned to walk towards her friends. Only two of the girls were actually looking for her, while the others were listening to Sarah brag about Keith asking her out. Abby rolled her eyes and walked with them to the exit. Around her, blue and red blended as Cornwall and Basshunters talked like they were best friends instead of rivals, but she didn’t pay attention to any of it. No, she was trying to keep it together while her insides were melting, melting with joy. His smile… Her face felt warm as she felt the blood rush up into her cheeks. She only hoped that her friends just thought it was from the heat of the lights than anything else.

When Abby got home, she was still replaying her conversation with the boy in her head, loving every moment of it. She didn’t know exactly what, but she knew he did something to make her act the way she did. So out of character, so unreal. Closing her bedroom door behind her, a thought made her continuously hit her head with her hands, making her repeat “Stupid” over and over again: I never asked for his name!

However, she managed to settle down with the memory that she would see him at the tournament. Puling the covers up, she slowly drifted to sleep, dreaming.

Dreaming…of the familiar boy.