Bonus #2

Thirty-three days.

That was the number of days since I broke her heart and also the number of days I left her for Seattle.

When I thought that breaking up with her was the right thing to do, then I was totally wrong. In fact, it turned out the opposite.

I can't forget her. Everything reminds me of her, even my own name. And everytime I closed my eyes, I will remember that day, how I broke her heart, how I made her cry.

"You're leaving?" Tamara asked me, sounding disappointed.

"I'll wait in the car." Alex passed us to the car.

"Why didn't you tell me? Why?" She looked into my eyes, pleading for answers.

"It's not like that, alright? It's a tough decision." I replied.

"Still, you couldn't even tell me? You didn't even answer my call or my texts." She asked me.

Every part of me is telling me to change my mind and just stay but I have to be strong. I have to resist the temptation of staying by her side for my family.

"Look, I'm trying to make a clean slate here-"

"How? By leaving without telling me? Newsflash Reese, we're not strangers. We're a couple, so I don't think that clean slate works since you mean a lot to me." She reminded me.

"No. We're not a couple. Not anymore." I muttered loud enough for her to hear.

"Are you... are you breaking up with me?" Her voice cracked a little at the end.

My heart felt heavy so I kept quiet, hoping that she got my message. Which I'm glad she did.

"But why? We can work this out, we can do long distance-"

I cut her off. "I don't do long distance."

"You told me you won't let go of us." Her voice cracked every now and then but she kept going.

"Promises are meant to be broken." I didn't look at her.

"Don't you wanna stay here? What about your friends here? And Max?" She insisted.

You matter most, I wanted to say that but couldn't. You need to stay strong, my mind reminded me.

"What about my friends in Seattle? My family? That's where I belong and that's where I'm going." I turned around and made my way to the car.

"Reese don't do this to me." Her voice broke.

I stopped walking. I almost turn around and change my plans but I continued walking.

"You're so selfish, not trying when there's a huge possibility we can still work." She said.

What better way to stay rooted to my decision than to use her advice against herself?

I faced her. "If I do recall perfectly, you told me to put myself first before everyone else because I matter most. Which I am doing right now." I continued walking to the car.

"Reese don't go... I love you." I stopped.

She loves me? My heart was filled with joy. All I want to do right now is turn around and hold her in my arms but I can't, for the sake of my family.

"Remember that day when you helped me with the hair dye prank? You promised to answer my question in exchange for me not asking why you helped me that day. So I'm asking, do you love me?" She asked me.