24

"Her name was Mariane Auclaire" Elijah began with the only way he knew how to. Her name. He did not have enough vocabulary to describe what she was like and what she meant to him. But he had to try. "She was a very unique soul, with green eyes that almost looked fake"

"I met her when I first arrived in a small town in the south of France. You've probably heard the story from Lucien, but we faked our identities and were welcomed into the count's home. We arrived just in time for a very important engagement party" as he spoke, he imagined himself in the room once more, he imagined what it felt like to see her for the first time all over again.

He felt the butterflies, the mystery, the pain.

"It turned out that she wasn't there to marry Tristan, but to enact revenge for him murdering her father, and kidnapping her brother" Elijah explained every little detail, taking Hayley on a journey from start to finish, setting the scene and allowing her mind to wander around what she believed to be where everything had taken place.

"We needed a witch to block Mikael's locator spells and she needed allies to help her complete her task" Elijah pulled his lip between his teeth "she married Tristan but Aurora knew she was a witch and struck a deal with me to keep it a secret. So I fed Tristan my blood"

Hayley knew that the situation was messed up. Aurora was insane and Tristan was just as bad, only he concealed it far better than she.

"Aurora didn't keep her deal, yet Marianne managed to kill Tristan and get away with a punctured stomach, and a very dead younger brother" it was immensely tragic, but the worse was yet to come. Elijah planned and said every word carefully, dreading the end of the story.

"We ran all together for six months, Marianne wasn't herself in that time. And her last day she breathed, I did something I never thought I'd be able to do since Tatia's death."

"What was that?" Hayley asked

"I asked her to marry me, I promised her that I would leave with her, that she did not need to worry anymore. Oh but we were young, we were foolish and naive. How was I ever supposed to run from what I truly was?" Elijah laughed, he knew it was inappropriate, but he just couldn't fathom how he could allow himself to be happy.

"It turned out a witch had linked Marianne to Mikael, so as we could see when he neared, he could also see where we were, making it almost impossible for us to settle down" Elijah's heart rate sped up to the maximum, feeling the knots in his stomach.

"He found us, taking us all by surprise, one by one he incapacitated us and pinned Niklaus up with a stake to his heart"

"Elijah..." Hayley placed her hand in his to try and calm his nerves. She could see Elijah rile himself up, his breathing could be heard from miles away. "You don't have to"

"Do you know what I did, Hayley?" He snapped "do you know what I did to her?" His voice was on the brink of shouting, his face turning red with anger.

"I tore her heart from her chest. Only a few hours after promising her the world and its wonders. After getting her hopes up. I murdered her, in the worst way possible" Elijah spoke through his teeth, his eyes were wet with tears that discretely fell from his eyes. "I sentenced her to a death that she did not deserve and I have been sentenced to an immortal life of suffering"

"Elijah. It was a thousand years ago" Hayley tried to calm him once more, but the original had already entered a realm of the past.

"I still see her face, when I close my eyes" he rocked back and forth "her expression when I grasped her heart with my hand and pulled it like it was nothing"

He mimicked the actions he did, opening his hand and closing it snappily. "In the next few weeks after it happened, I would not sleep for I had night terrors, I awoke with fevers, drenched in sweat, calling for her"

"It sounded like you were pretty hung up on this witch" Hayley summed up in her words. She couldn't say she wasn't jealous whatsoever, but she was the one that was alive, she doubted Elijah would trade her in for an 1,000 year old ex.

Elijah laughed at her remark "she is the reason I do not give myself to love as easily as others do, as I know it all ends tragically"

And now he had to go and dig up the coffin he sent into the earth all of those years ago. Only the select few were there when she was buried, but only Elijah knew the exact co-ordinates.

"I buried her under the tree that we sat when I asked her to marry me" he admitted the whereabouts, it was as difficult as hell for him to finally open up again. Re opening old wounds was not the easiest thing.

"Well then" Hayley stomped her boots on the stairs as she pushed herself up "Tristan is going to have a lot on his plate when he finds out that we have teamed up with his ex wife" she joked, trying not to mention the fact that she was also Elijah's ex fiancé. If she could class her as an 'ex' anyway.

"She will give him a good run for his money" he said, reminiscing about the times she fought. He knew that with Marianne on their side, they would fight the winning battle.

"What are we waiting for then?" Hayley asked "let's go dig ourselves up a witch"