12.

Recap:

Dad clears his throat. "There's something that I haven't told you." he takes a deep breath. "Your brother and sister already know about this and I was hoping to tell you myself."

What is my Dad going on about?

I frown. "Dad, you're scaring me."

He shakes his head. "I'm sorry. It's just..." he trails off and I see a tear fall. He pulls me into his arms and I wrap my arms around him.

I kiss his cheek. "You can tell me, Dad."

Dad kisses my forehead. "I know I can tell you sweetheart. But, when I do it will seem real. You will be effected by what I have to say more than your siblings as we're closer."

A tear falls down my face.

Dad wipes away the tear and he whispers. "I am dying."

***

At those words I begin crying and I wrap my arms around him. I feel something wet hit my face and I look up at Dad. Tears are falling down his face.

I hear the front door open. "Cristina and the kids will be here soon. Her husband will be here after his shift." The door closes and I close my eyes.

Dad whispers. "Laken, I love you. I want you to know to that."

I turn my head in his direction. "I love you, Dad."

Cristina and the kids run up the footpath.

Jett hugs me. "Aunt Laken." He looks around. "Where's Gracie and Sophie?"

I look at the door and then back to him. "They're inside with Grandma."

He runs inside.

Maya walks over to Grandpa and she climbs into his lap. She wraps her tiny arms around his neck. "Why are you crying?"

Cristina takes my hand and she leads me into the house. "Did Dad tell you?"

I turn toward her. "How long have you known?"

She looks away from me. "I've known since last week. Dad called Johnny the day he left. Johnny wanted to be here when Dad told you. But, we don't know how long Johnny will be gone."

"He'll be away for three weeks. That's what he told the girls and I when he left last week. Johnny really didn't want to leave the girls and I. But, with him being away it's allowing me to get close to the girls." I look at the street. "Can you help me with a few things at my place? I need to make it safe for us before I go back home with the girls."

Cristina opens the front door. "Yeah, I'll help you out. Have you heard from the stalker?"

I shake my head. "It's been quiet. Which is a bit scary as he's always made himself known. I'm afraid he's going to try something."

She touches my arm. "I've heard things around the town about you training with some guy. Is it true that you can kick some of the best fighters arse?"

I shrug. "Who are we talking about?"

She laughs. "It's doesn't matter." We walk to the kitchen and see Mom baking cupcakes with the twins.

Gracie and Sophie look at me. They have flour in their hair and on their clothes. "Mommy," the girls run over to me.

I lift them up. "Are you helping Grandma with the cupcakes?"

Sophie nods.

Gracie hits her sister.

Sophie starts crying.

I look at Gracie. "Gracie, it's not nice to hit your sister. Say sorry now."

Gracie shakes her head and then she sticks her tongue out at Sophie.

Damn, Johnny.

Dad enters the house with Maya on his hip. He looks at me. "Can I see you in my office, Laken?" he puts Maya on the ground. "I need to talk to your Aunt. I'll be back soon."

"Okay, Grandpa."

I follow Dad to his office. He opens the door and I step into the room. On the walls are pictures of Johnny, Cristina, Mom, Dad and I over the years. There's a few pictures of Jett and Maya. There's books on the floor in the corner and the laptop on the desk is open.

Dad moves behind his desk and he sits. He points to the chair across from him. "Laken, I need you to sit for this."

I sit across from him and I cross my legs. I drum my fingers on the desk.

Dad pulls some documents up on his computer. "I know I've given you time off to be with the girls. But, if I die before you come back you'll be the CEO of my company. You'll also be working closely with the FBI as most of the agents work for my company."

I touch his hand. "I knew there was something different about your company. I just couldn't put my finger on it. Is that why Johnny used to avoid the place?"

Dad looks up from his computer. "Your brother started in the office with his partner, Ethan. Those two were thick as thieves. They still are. Johnny talked the director into letting him be partners after they left the office and he agreed. At least your brother will be coming back home in one piece with that guy as his partner. Ethan is skilled in combat fighting and riffle shooting. Your brother passed with the help of Ethan. If you need some help with the competition against that guy go to him."

I cross my arms. "How did you find out about the competition?"

Dad laughs. "It's all over town. Do you think the FBI wouldn't hear things like that? I know who your teacher is. I wouldn't be surprised if he taught you all this stuff to stick it to me and FBI."

I move over to Dad. "He taught me because of the guy in the office. He scared me, Dad. Now he knows about the girls and there's no way in hell that I'm letting anyone near my family; including that guy."

"I'm proud of you, sweetheart." Dad opens a draw and he pulls out a box. He puts it in my hand. "I want you to have it."

I open the box and inside it is a pin with the FBI symbol on it. It has Dad's name on it. I hug him. "It's beautiful. Thank you."

He hugs me back. "I want you to have it. If you decide to join your brother I will understand. If I were to be truthful I'd tell you to stay in the office. I don't want my daughter to be anywhere near the things that happen undercover."

I don't want to be a full agent. I'm happy at Dad's office.

I whisper. "I'm happy being behind the scene. I'll leave the undercover job to Johnny and his partner."

Dad and I exit the room and we walk into the kitchen. I see the twins with cake all over their faces.

I look at Mom. "Did you give them cupcakes?"

Mom shakes her head. "I think it was Jett."

Jett looks at the ground and he says. "I'm sorry."

I move over to Jett. I kneel at his height. "It's alright, Buddy. You didn't do anything wrong. Next time you want to give them a cupcake ask me. I don't want the girls to get sick. I don't know if there allergic to anything."

Cristina moves over to me. "You sound like a Mom, Laken. I didn't think you'd be able to do this. But, every time I see you with the girls you prove me wrong."

Mom moves over to my side. "She's done that her entire life. You put a challenge in front of her and she rises to it. That's why the competition in three weeks is going to be something I don't want to miss."

Dad nods. "I don't want to miss it either. Remember what I said about Ethan. I know you trust your brother to teach you stuff like that. He knows the basics. You need someone trained in that area."

I touch Dad's arm. "I got it. I'll talk to Ethan when he returns with Johnny." I look at the cakes on the counter. "I'm going to have a cupcake. Does anyone want one?"

Dad takes one off the plate and he puts it in his mouth. He looks at Mom. "I'm going to miss this when I..." He cuts himself off as he looks around at the innocent faces of the children in the room.

I don't want to think about that happening yet. I'd rather enjoy all the time I have left with him.

***

Thanks for reading

Vote/comment/share/follow me

MissDredge

Let me know what you think of the current chapter of Foster Mom.