28. The Boys of the Dark

It was Delilah's turn to get gas.

While HB was napping, she spotted a gas station just up ahead. The sky dark as the black sea, it floated with specks of dust and blurry shapes. Except for the moon. That was the only thing that hadn't left her when she fled from the boys and her teenage life.  

It had been a week since they've been on the road. They were taking turns driving, not stopping once. It was a long way to the portal that took them to the next universe.  Melon Head told them he'd get help and would meet Delilah and HB at the portal.  

Her children would eventually be drawn to the portal for its strong connections and powers to other universes.  There, hopefully, they could catch the demon twins before they jumped into a parallel universe. 

Delilah's exhausted eyes strained through the night, bags deep under her eyes. She hadn't been getting much sleep lately, nightmares of her children coming back more frequent. It was scary and it always ended the same.

With them staring, with their yellow eyes—ready to swallow her whole.

She quickly parked the car, the engine gurgling and chugging before dying out. The gas station sign flickered a bit, the light on in the store. She took out the wallet in the glove compartment, pulling out a fifty and carefully slammed it shut without waking up HB.

She went inside, paying for the gas. She stared at the bag of chips, it tempting to grab but she decided against it—realizing the crinkling sound may wake up HB. She was a light sleeper which was surprising. Perhaps she wasn't getting much sleep either and that the anxious parts were eating both of them up.

She came back, the sign still flickering. No one was here and she felt comforted by this. She missed this—not having that many people around her. The high school was too busy for her.

Once she started filling up the tank, she noticed a car parked at the side of the gas station. Thinking it was one of the staff members, she noticed the door was open and slowly put her hand to the gun under her sweater.

"You didn't say goodbye."

Her heart soared at the sound of his voice, but at the same time it broke into a thousand pieces. She turned, and her knees nearly gave out once she realized he was here.

"What are you doing here?" she said. Was he planning to join them?

A spark ignited in her chest, but even that burned out as soon as the anger came raining in. She clenched her fists, wanting to say so many things but a glare was enough for now.

"You didn't say goodbye," he repeated, not answering her question.

"Ryland," she said.

His back stiffened at the sound of her voice. "I came to say goodbye."

No apology. No sorrow. Perhaps pain—but maybe it was just exhaustion.

"Then you're wasting your time." There was a soft ding and she noticed her tank was full. She removed the plug and put it back.

"Don't be like that."

Anger ripped through her but she remained calm, instead stepping toward him slowly until they were both in front of her car. "So what are you going to do, hm? While your children are running around, ready to destroy you and your world?"

"They're not going to."

"How are you so sure?"

"Because they're my children too."

Headlights flashed behind Delilah, cascading a shadow over Ryland.

"You can find me when you need to. You'll know where I'll be."

Her voice was thin as ice, Ryland's advancing steps sending cracks through her throat. "Will I?" she croaked. "Because clearly, I don't think I ever really knew where you were for a while now."

He stopped. "Find me when you need me," he coldly said.

"What if I need you now?"

He shook his head. "I can't. I can't go back. This...this means too much to me." He stared out into the darkness of the night, it reaching out to him more than Delilah's open hands. "I thought you'd understand."

"I do."

Surprised, he glanced back at Delilah as her words drove into him like a knife coated with her blood.

"You're a lost boy. And I'm certainly not going to waste my time searching for someone that will never be found."    

+++

Two more chapters to go... 

Author Note: I decided to update early for one reason.  

As a writer, I want to put myself on every page: a smear of heartsblood. If I can't connect with my own story, how can I expect anybody else to find that connection?

And trust me, I slathered heartsblood all over Boys of the Dark, and now I'm doing it all over my new story:

Cigarettes After Sex

I'm finally writing a book I want to write rather than chasing the trend (this was what I did with Mad as a Hatter and that made me happy), so I will love all of you took a bite of this new adventure novel.

I've already posted it in my Works so you can now read the prologue and the first chapter!  The main character may remind you of Delilah (but better?).  

It would be the WORLD TO ME if you guys voted and commented your thoughts on my new novel, Cigarettes After Sex. Please and thank you. :)

from your favourite type of pi, 

xx 3.14