‘I hate Talia. She cheats on her boyfriend and is mean to me at school.’ Georgia said and then she threw her paper into the fire.

‘I hate tattoos. Majority of them ruin your skin and you can get infections.’ Some girl said and threw her paper in.

After a while it was my turn. ‘I hate...’ myself; the fact that I don’t have Ace anymore.... I said, ‘sorry Sean, but I hate Sean Williams. He can be a right jerk sometimes.’ I glanced at him and Sean’s mouth was pressed into a flat line.

‘That’s okay, Ryvre.’ Sean grinned – even though it was forced. ‘I hate that I messed up with you.’ He threw a blank piece of paper into the fire.

Georgia looked crushed. ‘Okay... moving on.’ Other people continued to say what they hate and throw their pieces of paper into the fire. Then it reached Ace, who hesitated. ‘Go on Ace. Everyone else has said theirs.’

‘I hate...’ Ace locked his gaze on to mine, ‘that I hurt the one person I wanted to protect the most.’

There were some “ooh” s to this remark but Georgia suddenly stormed off and gathered up her stuff. She moved her stuff away from mine and placed it with someone else’s that was closer to the sea. Her eyes were tear-filled.

‘Georgia,’ I ran after her, ‘what’s wrong? What’s the matter? Is everything alright?’

‘No,’ she spun to face me, ‘everything is not alright. I can’t believe you... I can’t believe you would do that to me. Me: your best friend.’

‘Do what to you? Georgia, I haven’t done anything.’ I was confused and a little hurt at how she just starting accusing me of doing something - which I don’t know what.

‘You had Ace and now you have to have Sean.’ Georgia hissed at me. ‘You said that you’ll talk about me to Sean – to try to make him interested in me-’

‘Trust me: Sean is not someone you want to get involved with.’ I had to make sure my anger stayed in check just in case my power leaks and I do something bad with the waves.

‘Yeah, you would know wouldn’t you?’ Georgia was acting hysterical. ‘Is that what the bandage on your arm is, a love bite that you’re trying to hide... or how about a matching tattoo?’ She grabbed my arm, pulled my arm out of my sleeve and ripped off the bandage – which hurt. Georgia gasped when she saw the burn. ‘Did Ace or Sean do this to you?’

‘It was an accident.’ I didn’t put my arm back in my sleeve – the wool made it itch and sting. ‘But Georgia, I promise you that nothing happened – or is going to happen – between Sean and me.’

‘You promised to tell me everything.’ Georgia pointed out, ‘you didn’t tell me about your burn... and you still haven’t told me what happened between Ace and you.’

‘I haven’t told you what Sean did to me at that party.’ I told her – it probably didn’t help improve the situation. ‘I did it because I don’t want to hurt you. I wanted to protect you.’

‘Protect me? The only thing I need protecting from is your “friendship” and your secrets.’ Georgia shook her head. I opened my mouth to explain it all – including the truth about angels – but she stormed off.

Someone had poured coloured chemical powder into the fire so it would burn many different colours. I walked past the few people who were playing twister to the first aid box. I needed a new bandage to cover my burn. Luckily there was one in the box; unfortunately I’m not very skilled at putting a bandage on one handed. Seeing me struggle, Ace came over.

‘Let me help you.’ He said taking the bandage from me. I ignored him. ‘I know you’re not speaking to me right now but I still want to help.’ He took off my cardigan entirely as it kept getting in the way. ‘Do me a favour and stay away from Sean.’

I hated being bossed around. ‘Do you a favour? Now why would I do that?’ I burrowed my eyebrows.

‘So you are talking to me.’ Ace smiled.

‘Only for now; don’t worry, after tonight, I won’t ever speak to you again.’ I stared at my burn.

‘I will worry – nothing can stop that.’ Ace’s smile faded slightly. ‘Why didn’t you get this bandaged up before?’

‘I did, I went to the hospital and got it treated,’ I said defensively, ‘Georgia ripped off.’

‘What happened between you two?’ Ace asked with concern dancing in his eyes.

‘She’s mad because she thought that, as soon as we broke up, I went out with Sean too. And she thought I got a tattoo.’ I nodded to my arm with the burn. Although my birthmark on my left arm and left shoulder does look like one. ‘Why do you care?’

‘Ryvre, I will always care when you’re involved.’ Ace flashed me his “Ryvre’s Smile”. ‘There you go.’ Ace released my arm and helped put my cardigan back on.

‘Thanks,’ I smiled, ‘I didn’t expect to see you here... since, you know, you haven’t been at school long, I was surprised you showed up.’

‘That’s me: full of surprises.’ Ace winked at me. ‘There’s fire involved, of course I’m going to be there.’ His eyes slid to my arm. ‘I really am sorry you know.’

Thankfully, I didn’t have to answer, a girl came running up to Ace, ‘come on Ace. The boys are about to play cards, you’ve got to beat them. There’s a bet going that you’ll win.’ Ace was dragged towards the crowd that was gathering by a table and a few deck chairs.

I sat next to my stuff, looking out at the ocean, listening to the guitar that a boy was strumming. I was thinking through everything that had happened. Georgia: I could easily sort things out with her. Ace: that would take a little time. Suddenly someone’s heavy hand landed on my shoulder, making me jump and snapping me out of my thoughts.

Run, Ashling shouted in my head, you promised not to go out. Run; don’t trust him... for God’s sake, Ryvre run!

‘I told you, we’d get you when you least expect it.’ A recognisable voice whispered in my ear. I stood up to face the two men that had tried to trap me in school and the man who I spoke to on the phone. ‘Did you miss me, Ryvre?’