Public Image

I pulled up my office chair near the large window and rested my feet up on the ledge. People below were scurrying to wherever they had to be, covered in scarves and big coats.

Last night I went to bed too exhausted to even pay my phone any attention. I woke up with two missed calls from Harry, that I decided to not return. Yeah, I might've been feeling a little petty from him not replying to me the entirety of yesterday.

It was early in the morning, by now I would be on my way to school but luckily it was the beginning of winter break.

I tapped my pencil against the sketchbook on my lap. My mind couldn't stay on one thing for a few seconds, I would go from counting the bricks on the walls and pushing myself side to side on my chair.

Growing agitated, I lazily stood up dragging the blanket I haven't let go of since last night along with me.

Lizzy fortunately didn't have to stay home this morning and endure how slow time felt, she left about an hour ago to her job. I really did appreciate that she stayed last night.

The covers of my bed were slightly cold since I haven't been on it for a while.

Before I could lay down my phone began to ring on my night table.

The caller ID revealed it was Harry and I quickly answered.

"Hi." I said.

"So you are alive?" The sarcasm in his voice was evident.

"Hardly." I coughed.

"Are you alright?"

"I don't know what it was but since Saturday morning I've been feeling like shit." I explained.

"Have you gone to the doctors?"

"No, I've been sick before. I'm fine." My empty hand fiddled with my pencil, now drawing lines on the sheet of paper.

"Do you want me to bring you something, like breakfast? Or some medicine if you need." He offered.

"I think I'm pretty much set, Lizzy went full mom mode yesterday." He hummed a laugh, in the background I could hear a horn beeping. "What are you up to?"

"I'm driving to a meeting right now. Unfortunately George is going to be there also." It took me a second to remember who's name it belonged to, but soon remembered it was his fathers.

"You haven't talked to him?" Getting into fights with my mom meant having a half hour lecture afterwards about how we 'need to stick together and not argue'.

"Hell no, I plan on avoiding any conversation with him, shit any eye contact with him for the next hour."

"Well I hope it goes well for you." I said, my throat feeling sore.

"Sounds like you're about to end the call."

"Uh-" I didn't know how to reply back, neither did I think he would want to keep talking when he had something to do soon.

"It's fine, I should be pulling up at the building soon. I'll see you later."

-

Harry's POV

"Mr. Styles." One of my uncles secretaries greeted me once I walked it. I wondered if they ever got tired of having to address all three of us by the same name. Must be exhausting just seeing George often.

This was the first time I've walked in this building in months.

I grabbed a mint from a bowl that was on the front desk and made my way to where my uncles conference room. From what I can recall the damn space was bigger than my bed room, with a long table that could sit about 50 people running down the middle.

"Harry," a familiar brunette stopped in her tracks as she spotted me. I smiled to play off the fact that I couldn't remember her name.

"I'm very sorry, I'm late for my meeting. Can we talk later?" I passed by her.

The walls were patterned with black and grey dots and the carpets were a horrible shade of brown. I hated this building more than George's.

Once I reached the room, I didn't bother knocking, causing a few middle aged men to turn rapidly toward the door.

"Good morning nephew." Sebastian immediately scolded me.

I briefly glimpsed at George to calculate the seat farthest from him, and took it.

Looking around at the other men in this office, I was the only one not wearing a suit.

This meeting, from what was emailed to me was solely regarding our 'image'.

They began by pestering me on drinking and fooling around with woman.

"Bullshit," I joined while they discussed me amongst each other. "Who the hell is going to give a shit about what I do anyways? How could it possibly affect your business?"

"Harry, you have to understand the amount of power your father and uncle have in this city." I wanted to stop the man and tell him that George wasn't my father. "Since you were papped leaving a club with multiple girls a few months ago, it's not only caused you to gain an image in the media but it can hurt the business. You're actions may be deemed scandalous, and all fingers will be pointed to your surname."

"I could give a shit about any of this anyways." I crossed my arms on my stomach and eyed the man.

"You should, having the Styles name on news articles due to your recreational activities is the opposite of what we want."

"News articles?" I said concerned.

"Yeah, mostly online thankfully your name isn't everywhere yet next to the words 'womanizer' and 'alcoholic'."

Panic filled me with the thoughts of only one person seeing those things about me.

I let myself out after they announced they were finished talking about my actions and step by step telling me how to become a prude. They had some balls to tell me what to do really. So what if I publicly down a few beers and sleep whoever the hell I want? If anything I'd be doing the world a civil service by shutting them down, they are all assholes who don't deserve the money that effortlessly pumps through them.

Assholes.

Seeing the brunette again in the hallway, I look the other way to avoid any conversation.

"Harry." I was caught anyway. She scurried over to me in tall heels and a red dress. My pervert of an uncle obviously attributed looks into considerations for hiring. "How are you? I haven't seen you in months."

"I've been busy." I nodded.

"Well now that you're back-"

"I'm not back." I stopped her.

"Ok whatever. As I was saying maybe we could go for a drink some day?" Her teeth pulled in her lower lip, and her hand slowly ran down my torso.

Christ, she couldn't care less about her coworkers around us.

"I don't know, I'm pretty busy."

What the hell Harry? Who have you become?

"You know what? Why the hell not?"

-

Harry's such a little bitch ass. Anyways, if you didn't understand George and Sebastian have two separate office buildings, & I never really planned to describe what they worked as, neither do I really want to get into that so just know that they are rich as hell. & hopefully the whole bad-press Harry's getting doesn't seem too bizarre for the story, I feel like I've pushed in this rich-Harry side of him so abruptly.