E l a i n e

•Chapter 15: Coffee?•

"Hey."

"Why did you take me here?"

Elaine spoke for the first time. Her voice sounded foreign to herself. Broken, husky, defeated. After the encounter with Jamie, she had remembered the anxiety, the fears she had locked down deep in her soul.

She remembered the pain.

Jamie... Jamie was different for Elaine. She couldn't put her under the same catagory where she put her peers at. They had shared memories, good times actually. Elaine couldn't decide if the happiness overweighted the pain or maybe the pain wiped the every bit of happiness.

She just knew Jamie was not the same.

And as she was walking to her seat where Ren was, she had realized Ren wasn't even looking. She was too busy watching outside, like she usually did. In a selfish way, this angered, hurt Elaine.

Would she become a selfish-crazy-bitch for wanting Ren's attention?

Probably.

Why would she even look at a trash like you Elaine?

And then a jerk tripped her.

Elaine couldn't remember who because she was too engrossed by the sight of Ren. She remembered how her books fell apart, remembered the look on Ren's face when their eyes first met. The scene where she dumped Ren at the forest and her face played on repeat inside Elaine's mind.

She hates you, despises you.

After that she just lost it. Her parents, Ren, Jamie, bullying... it was just all too much for her. Too much for a 17 year old body to handle. You would have thought she would get used to the pain by now, thinking of her unfortunately dramatic life.

However the pain would only increase it's pressure on her heart with the passing time.

She didn't remember when she started crying first or when was the time when Ren held her from her waist. And here she was after that.

"I didn't want both the teachers and the students bothering you. You can come here anytime. I can assure nobody knows here beside me." Ren's voice snapped her out of her thoughts.

Elaine raised her head and met with the dazzling green. How was it possible for her eyes to glow under such dim light? How could... how could someone like Ren would want to be friends with someone like Elaine?

"Why, why me?" She then mumbled again, honest curiosity in her watery eyes. The question had came out without the chance of re-thinking.

Ren frowned upon hearing the question. It was as if the question was too absurd to be asked for her.

Stupid girl.

"I care about you, isn't that enough?"

Elaine almost laughed. Maybe she should have too. She couldn't remember the last time she laughed. It would be a good change.

Fortunately for Ren, she just turned her head to look away. Because she knew the heavy stone on her heart was reminding her it's presence again. How much she tried locking her feelings, her heart... it was useless. She would always be the one at the other side of the trigger. The one who gets hurt.

She cares... she can't.

Those who pushed her inside to lockers only to lock her inside for hours didn't. Her silent cries was the only reassurance she hadn't gone crazy. Those whom Elaine trusted the most didn't when Elaine needed them the most. Not when they betrayed Elaine, to tell Elaine they loved her only to stab her from the back. Hell, she thought her parents didn't.