E l a i n e

A/N: Just watch it.

Chapter 2: Nonchalant

Aside from the fact that Elaine was nearly hyperventilating, fortunately no soul in the classroom paid attention to this scene. Which Elaine was grateful in a weird way.

Elaine stood in front of the class with her mouth a jar and her heart nearly stopping entirely, because when Mrs. Sky told her that she would be sharing her desk with "Miss Wiley" until the end of year, she was simply not ready for the shocking news. How could she be?

The same tough, intimidating Ren, who scared the shit out of Elaine, would be her new lab partner.

Great. A boost to my anxiety, just what I needed.

Elaine cautiously went to her desk, never once leaving her eyes from the girl. Ren was busy staring outside the window while Elaine, for the first time in her life, looked boldly right at the girl as she approached. As if trying to seem as tough as Ren so Ren would at least try not to pick on Elaine too much, she reached to the table. However, Elaine knew better that she couldn't deceive anybody, mostly herself because she was about to cry just from the thought of Ren as her partner.

She sat to her given spot and felt chills all over her body.

Keep calm. She probably wouldn't even spare a second glance in your way anyway.

After "calming" herself, Elaine tried to focus to the lesson which, Mrs. Sky had started lecturing nearly 10 minutes ago. She was talking about the genetics of species while projecting her slideshow.

Elaine was not the goody in two shoes or the nerd who got A from every exam, even though everyone thought she was due to her social anxiety . Elaine was just an average girl who had been dealing with problems that no teenage should have. The fact that she was all alone didn't help either. Nobody even understand what she was going through.

Maybe that was one of the main reasons why she was considered as a "nobody". She could have been the freshman you bump your shoulder everyday, or the boy who's lunch money you take... Elaine could have been anybody... and that's why she was a nobody to others.

She doubted if anyone had noticed her slight freckles across her face, the freckles that she used to resemble galaxies. Every freckle a star that had a different story. She used to love them, consider them as a quality that differs her from the others.

How stupid she was, she realized in freshman year. When everyone was trying to hide them with foundations and concealers, here she was adoring them. Stupid.

Now they were just another flaw to the collection.

If anybody even noticed she would always wear long sleeves and big sweats and wonder why; even on those hot summer days when people melt in the classrooms.

She doubted immensely.

And that's how the first 25 minutes of class went by, Elaine listening to the dull lesson, anything and everything on her mind. Then after a while Elaine felt the familiar chills ran over her body. She felt... under the spot.

With that uncomfortable feelings she decided to test the waters and turned her head over to the infamous girl, ever so slowly. And indeed she met her piercing gaze on her.

Like a hunter, amused by her prey's vulnerability.

As if Ren knew her effect on Elaine, she smiled slightly, making Elaine's insides tremble but, didn't spoke a word. As if Elaine would speak, she seemed to be waiting or just enjoyed intimidating Elaine all together. Which annoyed Elaine in the end. She never chose to be intimidated so easily but nobody seemed to get that. Everyone seemed to even force Elaine to be more comfortable... not understanding why she was this closed up in the first place and obviously not realizing that what they were doing was making her feel worse.

Elaine quickly turned back to Mrs. Sky- who was now handing a new sheet - and tried to ignore the obvious eyes on her. But it did her no good. She felt like the girl's stare was literally burning holes on her side.

STOP!

She desperately looked at the clock that was hanged above the teacher's desk and saw the bell was minutes away from ringing. Sighing, she sunk back to her seat. She knew Ren was still watching and it did not help at all.

She must think how ugly you are, or the fact that a loser is sitting next to her.

Elaine wanted to ran out of the classroom, scream to Ren to stop looking or just cry on the spot. Either of them was a valid option at the time. She felt like Ren was mocking her without even saying anything at all. Elaine knew she must have been, or else why would she even stare for that long?

After a while she was more annoyed than the fact that Ren shamelessly continued mocking silently.

She used the last bit of her confidence in order to turn.

Which confidence?

Elaine looked back at Ren while slightly frowning, praying every god out there that Ren wouldn't make a scene or beat Elaine etc. etc... Elaine didn't think she could handle any more bullying or beating in her life. She was more than beaten up verbally than physically and many didn't know it was more tiring and painful to feel that way. She knew it first hand.

She tried to give her softest frowning look and indicate that she was getting slightly annoyed under her stare. Politely, still without a doubt scared of the consequences.

Elaine, ever so slowly, opened her mouth and tried to form any word without shuttering. But before she could even utter a word, Ren got up absurdly and left Elaine there, feeling more of an idiot then she already felt like.

Elaine turned to her front and wondered where the hell Ren was going. The bell hadn't even rang yet. Just like Elaine, the teacher was obviously bothered by the fact Ren was on the verge of leaving too. Ren didn't even bother to look back at both Mrs. Sky or Elaine. Which in a way offended Elaine.

"Hey, whe-" Mrs. Sky started but was interrupted a second later.

The bell rang.