E I G H T T A I L S

Sasuke's POV

Karin and I stood alone in the lobby of the small Inn that Tobi arranged for us. He assured me that the owners of this particular establishment were paid a large sum of money to remain loyal to the Akatsuki and provide room and board whenever it was required. That fact was confirmed immediately upon our arrival simply due to the lack of questioning we had to endure during check in. It was a relief to know that our team could sleep soundly here, but it was still wise to remain cautious of their wandering eyes and I was silently grateful that they were nowhere in sight. I didn't want to waste my energy keeping an eye on them when I was focused on the impending battle.

The hair on the back of my neck stood on end as I felt Karin's gaze once more to my left. I resisted the urge to shake my head as she continued to inch closer to me with every passing second. Letting out a long breath, I chose to ignore her advances as I looked towards the clock above the exit doors. It was now approximately five minutes passed our set departure time, and I was beginning to grow impatient. The chance to test my new power was so incredibly close that I could barely think about anything else.

Itachi, why did you keep me in the dark?

If I had known then what I know now, his death wouldn't have happened by my hand. But in death, my brother gifted me with an incredible asset: the Mangekyo Sharingan. With it, and the aid of the Taka, I could properly seek revenge for the life that he was forced into.

I had no doubts.

"You know Sasuke," Karin's voice hit my ears, interrupting my thoughts as always. She was speaking quieter than usual, but that was probably because the others weren't around. "We could always go ahead without the others, just the two of us. Maybe we could take down the eight tails together."

I slowly turned my head towards the kunoichi with a blank expression. She blushed and fluttered her eyelashes at me as I contemplated whether to answer her at all.

"That," her eyes grew with anticipation as I paused to draw a breath. "Would be a death wish."

She deadpanned at my dull response, clearly wanting me to say something else entirely as she began to pout. She huffed and crossed her arms in front of her, with a blush still present on her cheeks.

"I don't know. You're so strong Sasuke," she continued. "I think the two of us could handle it just fine."

"We will wait for the others," was the only response I had for her as I turned away and walked closer to the staircase leading up to the second floor. I peered up the steps as I grit my teeth, slowly growing angrier as time continued on.

Where were they?

Surely Jugo wouldn't be this late on purpose. He was always punctual and always insisted on being by my side. He was loyal and completely reliable, so what could be taking him so long? Was he with Suigetsu?

Suddenly the image of Suigetsu and Ayuka leaving the Inn with linked arms the night before flashed through my mind and I quickly tore my eyes from the steps, glaring at the floor. I had almost forgotten that they went out together last night. The very image alone made me sick to my stomach and I internally shook the scene from my mind, but the echo of Ayuka's words was still present.

"Lighten up, Sasuke. We're just gonna go have some fun."

I scoffed. Could she really have that much fun with him? No. That was simply absurd.

Suigetsu and Ayuka, alone together away from the rest of the team... I didn't approve of it at all. They seemed all too eager to get away yesterday, and a strange sensation built up in my stomach because of it.