" F U N "

Ugh, why did I agree to this?

I pulled awkwardly on the collar of my new Akatsuki robe, pouting slightly as we continued our journey to Kumogakure. Because of Sasuke's new found ambition to destroy the Leaf Village, the rest of us ended up roped into joining the criminal organization in order to receive help from this so-called "Tobi" person. Honestly, I didn't trust a single word that came out of that guys mouth and this whole situation was making me start to regret becoming a part of the Hebi, Taka, or whatever the hell we were called now.

I sighed in defeat as I further unzipped the annoying cloak down my chest, exposing my normal ninja gear underneath. How were we supposed to be inconspicuous in these get ups anyway?

If I had just stayed at Orochimaru's hideout in the beginning, none of this would have happened. I wouldn't be plagued with the emptiness I felt at knowing I was the last of my clan, I wouldn't have gotten drunk and slept with Sasuke, I wouldn't have these constant confusing emotions swimming in my chest at the thought of the Uchiha, and I definitely wouldn't have become a member of this group of murders.

I frowned and stared at the back of Sasuke's head, silently asking myself why I was still following him. Why were any of us still following him? He had his revenge, he reached his goal. What did he still need us for?

As I huffed to myself once more, Jugo glanced back at me with concern. I just shrugged it off as we continued through the trees, not wanting to bother him with my inner monologue. It's not like he would understand anyway.

"Hey 'yuka, you alright?"

Suigetsu's words startled me and I snapped my head towards him.

"Fuck--Suigetsu," I shook my head as his eyebrows rose. "Yeah, sorry you scared me. I'm fine."

"You're awfully jumpy for a sensory nin, you know that?" He smirked as he kept up with my slight increase in speed.

"Did you just call me 'yuka?" I asked, hoping to change the subject.

"Oh that? Yeah," he grinned, showing off his teeth. "You don't mind, right?"

I shrugged indifferently and opened my mouth to respond.

"Do you two always have to be talking?" Karin screeched at us from her spot behind Sasuke, cutting me off.

"Do you always have to be so annoying?" Suigetsu fought back with a bored expression. I laughed as her eyes caught flame.

"No one asked you, Suigetsu!" She yelled, balling her fists.

"Can it, Karin," Sasuke shot her down without so much as a look back. Her head quickly whipped back in his direction as she muttered a small apology, pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose as she always did.

As I watched the exchange take place, I felt a weird feeling hit me and a small smile of recognition spread across my face. I glanced over at Jugo, watching him concentrate on his running, barely even noticing the tiny bird atop his shoulder. All of this just seemed so... usual.

Maybe I've grown fond of this group of misfits.

I shook my head, wondering silently if I had finally grown soft. These three and I, we had a lot in common considering that we didn't always get along. All of us started off as Orochimaru's test subjects (even if some of us had it worse than others.) We were experiments, with no families and no ties to anyone. But then seemingly out of nowhere, Sasuke Uchiha came along and brought us all together. Without realizing it, he breathed new life into us and gave us a reason to live again.