Prologue

"Go and play, Libby." Kimberly George gently pushed her three year-old daughter towards the playground as she sat down on the bench. Libby nervously toddled over to the swing set, her skirt flowing and bouncing with each step she took. 

Being the big girl she insisted she was, Libby decided she would try and get onto the big kid swings, so she managed to climb up and perch on one of them

Being the big girl she insisted she was, Libby decided she would try and get onto the big kid swings, so she managed to climb up and perch on one of them. Once she was up, she thought she could try and swing. She swung her legs forward, only to fall backwards off the swing, not having anything to secure her unlike the baby swings. Upon hearing her daughter's scream of pain, Kimberly's head shot up from the book she was reading. She put her book down and was about to rush towards her, when she saw a little boy running towards Libby.

"Are you o'ay?!" The little boy asked. He was about Libby's age.

"N-No!" Libby wailed.

"Where it hurt?" The little boy questioned.

"H-Here!" She hiccuped, pointing to her grazed elbow. The little boy gently grabbed her arm and pressed his lips to her wound.

"Better?" He looked at Libby with innocent blue eyes.

"I-I fink so. Fank you!" Libby squealed, wrapping her chubby little arms around the boy's neck.

"I'm Hank." The little boy informed.

"I'm Libby." 

Kimberly smiled at the scene unravelling in front of her, before getting up to see if Libby's arm was actually okay. In the process, she met Hank's mother, who had also gone over to see what all the fuss was about. Little did any of them know, it was the start of a beautiful friendship.

~Eight Years Later~

Libby and Hank were in Hank's bedroom, with their best friends since Year One, Frankie and Ashley, playing on Hank's PlayStation.

"I'm so gonna win!" Hank declared confidently.

"In your dreams, Zipzer!" Libby nudged Hank to put him off. With a few more twists of the controller, Libby's video game character crossed the virtual finish line.

"Yes! In your faces!" She boasted, standing up.

"You cheated!" Hank stood up as well, "You pushed me!"

"I did not cheat, I just helped myself win." Libby smirked.

"You cheated!" Hank pushed her down on the bed and pinned her down, while she struggled to get free. Frankie and Ashley simply watched in amusement. Too busy wrestling, Hank and Libby didn't notice as Hank's parents, Stan and Rosa walked in looking traumatised.

"Hank," Stan said, getting their attention. Hank frowned upon seeing his parents so upset, and tears in his mother's eyes.

"Mum, Dad, is something wrong?" Hank frowned.

"Libby, there's something we need to tell you." Rosa said.

"Why, what's wrong?" Libby asked worriedly.

"We've just had a call from the hospital." Stan began,  "Your Mum and Dad, they..."

"They what? Are they okay?" Libby was now beyond scared.

"They were driving home from work, and a lorry didn't see them coming and..." Stan paused.

"Are they okay?!" Libby was getting impatient.

"I'm so sorry, sweetheart. They didn't make it." Rosa's voice cracked.

"No," Libby whispered, "No, this isn't real. You're trying to play some sick joke on me."

"Oh, honey. We wish we were lying." Rosa said. That's when Libby lost it. She buried her face in her hands and started to sob. Hank was quick to pull the shaking girl into his arms.

"This isn't happening." She sobbed into Hank's chest. Frankie and Ashley soon joined the hug. Suddenly, Libby pulled away from her best friends and looked at Stan and Rosa.

"W-what's going to happen to me?" She asked, realising the only other family she had was her Uncle Oliver, who was in the army and wouldn't be back until she was at least 15 years old.

"Nothing, sweetheart. You're going to live with us until your Uncle comes home from Afghanistan. Is that okay with you?" Rosa explained. Libby just nodded. At least she didn't have to go to a care home or whatever.

"I just can't believe they're really gone." Her lip quivered as another set of tears built up. Hank pulled her into his embrace again and held her close. He may only be 11 years old, but he's a pretty damn good best friend.

A/N: Okay, I may be a bit childish but I really like the CBBC show Hank Zipzer and I love Hank, I think he's adorable :P

Enjoy!

-Lucy xx