Chapter 17 (Radish Fiction Version)

Start from the beginning

Whenever he saw her around the university, she was alone. If she was not alone, Cat was the only person he had ever seen her with. Even at the party, he could see how uncomfortable she was mingling with the other guests. I do not belong here...I need to die, he repeated her words miserably in his mind. "Don't ever say words like that again," he pleaded. "We're here for you. You do belong here...You may not know it but–" You belong with me, he finished his sentence in his mind. Zach was taken aback. What in the world made him think that? Why was he so sure that she was meant to be with him.

She remained silent while she stared back at him like he was a bad memory. Was she furious with him? Was she blaming him for what happened? He grimaced, and wished that he could read her mind. "I'm so sorry," he whispered, still not letting go of her face. Would it be disrespectful if he took a chance of kissing her? With the way she's looking at me, I shouldn't even dare. Only God knew how tempted he was to kiss her while she was asleep. Out of respect, he held himself back. He was content with watching her so close as she breathed. He was so close that he could feel the air she exhaled touching his lips. Tempting, but he wanted her to be awake when he kissed her, and if he ever got that chance, he wanted her to kiss him back. If I asked... "Asha, will–" The sounds coming from the hallway cut him off, making him let go of her so suddenly.

"Do you think she has woken up at all?" Cat's voice travelled from the corridors.

Zach stood up and retreated towards the end of the bed, just in time before Cat and Lark showed up at the doorway.

Asha lowered her head and closed her eyes once again.

"Oh my god! You're awake!" Cat exclaimed tearfully as she rushed towards Asha's side. She hugged her tight. "I was so worried! You wouldn't believe how worried I was!" She let go of her friend. "They thought you were dead!" she sobbed. "I didn't mean to make you so upset that you'd run off like that. I was just–" She stopped, realising that Lark was in the same room as they were. "You know," she ended, discretely shifting her eyes to Lark. Her friend didn't respond to her. "Are you angry with me?" She sat down next to her and started to comb Asha's tousled hair with her fingers. Cat never noticed how deeply black Asha's hair was until today. She also noticed the crimson highlights that streaked across the dark film as if blood had stained the strands. "When you get out of here, I promise, I'll treat you to a mani-pedi, we'll have our hair done, facials..." She forced out a giggle. "You know, all that girl stuff!" Asha remained motionless, her arms around her knees with her eyes closed. "Unless, you want to do something else," she drawled uncomfortably.

"That sounds like fun," Lark joined in with a smile in his voice. He moved closer, propping himself right next to her. "You gave us quite a scare."

Zach huffed, "That's an understatement," he said under his breath. No one seemed to have heard him, which was good. He didn't want to create any unnecessary tension around Asha but the close proximity that Lark had with her didn't sit well with him. "Maybe you guys need to give her a bit of space," he stated, actually directing it to Lark.

Lark put a hand lightly on Asha's back. "How are you feeling today, sweetheart?"

Sweetheart? Zach's frown became more prominent. Are you kidding me?

Asha gave out a heavy sigh. "Better once I get out of here," she said coldly.

Taken aback by the tone of her voice, Cat pulled her hand away from her. Fair enough that Asha may not be feeling well, but the tone in her voice was different. It was as if she was someone else. She shook her head, dismissing it as just her imagination. After all, it had been four days since she last spoke to her. She swore, it was the most horrifying four days of her life! She was still trying to come to terms with what happened last Saturday night. "Sweetie, I'm sure it will be so much better once you get out to some fresh air. Let's wait for the doctors to give you the all-clear though." Asha didn't look pleased at the suggestion. She noticed her jaw tighten, and her scowl was too menacing for her comfort. Cat gulped and glanced towards Zach and Lark. They both looked as concerned as she was.