Chapter One: I Think He Was Talking About Himself

Start from the beginning

Declan crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes at Dominic, giving him his infamous death glare. It's like Darth Vader's death grip, only more deadly. The thing was, though, Dominic didn't seem to waver at it. Even going as far as to meet him right at the eye. He gave Declan a smile as if he was silently laughing at his efforts to scare him.

Dominic then looked back at me, as if he knew he passed some sort of test.

"What's with the cold shoulder you're giving me? We haven't seen each other in years, Nom-"

"It's Naomi."

I glanced at the guys and I felt my face turning warm. Dominic calling me by my nickname in front of them was too much. It's too personal, and knowing Jordan, he wouldn't let me hear the end of it.

"Alright then, Naomi," he corrected himself.

Suddenly he held out his arms out to me. I looked at the gesture and looked back at him in confusion.

"C'mon, we both know we miss each other," he said in exasperation. "Now wouldn't you give your best friend a hug after all this time?"

I smiled at him. "I'll do you one better."

So I raised my hand and slapped him.

Or that's what the guys thought I was going to do from the looks on their faces.

Bennett moved to try to stop me. Declan motioned his arm to show me how to give a right hook. Jordan went to get his phone to capture this moment.

But they suddenly stopped.

Dominic's hand grasped my own to stop me.

In that moment we looked at each other, our hands clasped tightly to each other. His eyes seemed to shine in excitement, and I figured it may have also reflected my own. We wore matching smiles as it seemed we were back at the time when we were kids.

We loosened our grip and we slid our hands back. They turned into fists and we bumped fists, mine above then below his own. We did a short hand-clapping game before doing rock-paper-scissors (I won, but I think he let me win again). He then grabbed my hand and twirled me around, letting a childish giggle escape from me. However, this came to a stop as I started for my hand-bird half while he was going for the thumb war. We burst out laughing at that.

"What are you doing?" I demanded in between laughs. "The thumb war comes after the hand bird. Don't tell me you forgot."

"No," Dominic denied. "The thumb war comes after this. You do the hand-bird before the hip bump."

I let out a sigh of exasperation. "We argued this before. We changed the hip bump from the trust fall which is then after the hand bird."

"That's only because I didn't think you'd be able to carry me during the trust fall."

My hand went over to my heart. "Oh, the trust."

Dominic laughed. "I'm cringing how much of that I remembered."

"How do you think I-"

I was cut off when he pulled me into a hug. I froze for a moment, my face heating up at the warm contact of his body. Then I hugged him back, but it felt half-hearted as I was torn between hugging my childhood friend and a total stranger.

"Naomi, I missed you so much," he said, hugging me tighter. "It's like nothing has changed."

"Except your memory of our secret handshake," I muttered, but of course, he could hear me as I muttered into his ear.

"You're the one who forgot," he said, and knowing him, there was a smile in his voice.

"Well, I-"