Jem McBain

VOTE!!! COMMENT!!! ADD TO LIBRARY!!!

loveya's :D

Chapter three

Jem McBains POV

“We are the mighty Knights cheer squad! Love us or we’ll steal your iPod! We’re sexy, cute and funny, we marry for the money! Popular and the best, we don’t care about the rest! We rule the school; boys stare at us in the pool! You can’t beat us, no one can!!”

I absolutely hate cheerleading. Girls in way too short skirts, ranting random verses no one cares about? No thanks! But, its high school. The whole place operates on hierarchy, and for some absurd reason, I was placed up the top. No, FORCED up the top. It is not in the slightest what I wanted, but I had to live with the fact that I was popular. And I hated it, more than cheerleading in fact. There were things you were expected to do, cheerleading being the main one. Another one I didn’t particularly like; my virginity day. It’s a stupid tradition, if you are sixteen and in the popular group and still a virgin, you get paired up and made to… well, you know. Unfortunately, mine was tonight. No matter how much I had tried to get out of it, my friends wouldn’t budge.

“Jem, it’s a time honoured tradition, and you failing to participate would have you thrown in the deep end.” Anna explained. I was sitting at a table in the cafeteria, with my fake best friend telling me why it was so important.

“Come on Jem, this is the second greatest thing you will ever do in your life! And, you know we picked a hottie.” She tells me knowingly.

I glance over this so called ‘hottie.’ Sure, Jacob Williams wasn’t bad… but he wasn’t worth losing my v-card over.

“I don’t want to do it…why can’t I just tell everyone I did it and move on?” I question Anna.

“Because that defies the point! Now, if you don’t come to Oscars party tonight, I WILL drive to your house personally and get you. I’ve done ‘It’, it isn’t a big deal. Now stop being a baby, go to last period and I will see you later.” She saunters off, her short skirt sashaying causing a few boys to stare. Of course she thinks it’s no big deal! She lost hers when she was 15, and it is the reason she’s managed to stay as popular as she is.

This is why high school sucks. If I don’t lose my virginity, im a frigid freak, and if I do im instantly a slut. I sigh, realising being a slut is far more socially acceptable in this pathetic high school, and there is no way im getting out of it.My mum would say the same thing. She acts like popularity is the most important thing in the world, more important than grades, world peace, or global warming. Im dealy serious. She also still brags about her old sorority days, and has high ambitions for me to go to the same college and be the president of pi alpha beta. Not that college was any use to her. She failed all of college, and married the first rich guy who came along. My dad.  My still values popularity to this very day, and I wonder what she would do in this situation. Who am I kidding? I know she would sleep with so called hottie.

 I shrug to no one and head to English.

Last period goes painfully slow, and soon I am standing outside room 14, waiting for my tutoring session. Yes, embarrassing I know. I wasn’t too good at maths and the extra help really made the difference. My thinking is soon interrupted by a males voice.

“Hey Jem. Calculus today?” asks Casper Henderson. I smile. Casper is actually a really nice person, and not pretentious or snobby. He hangs out with the drama club and is the lead in nearly every musical. He has light brunette hair and sweeps it right off his face, making it look like it’s pointing to the sun. Admittedly, he is very good looking, much like his twin brother, Rex.  Rex however, is the complete opposite of Casper. The twins are non – identical, and Rex can only be described using one word; Bad. Last year he got suspended for setting fire to Mr Kenwood’s lab coat. As funny as it was, Mr Kenwood is now in a psycho unit, forever scarred of the memory of Rex Henderson’s demonic actions.

“Yeah. Only there’s not much to do, cos I did some at lunch.” I replied hastily.

“Well, we should get a move on then!” Casper said, enthusiasm rolling off his tongue. I groaned as he made his way over to a free desk. He open the books and started looking over the questions I had been assigned.

“Are you sure you remember most of these?” he said, eyebrows furrowed in concentration.  I sat down next to him and flicked my hair.

“I think so…” I batted my eyelashes, and pouted my lips. Nothing.

“Maybe you could show me again?”  I suggestively rest my hand on his arm.

“Yeah…hang on.” Casper’s ringtone interrupts the becoming awkward silence.

“Ghostbusters…nice.” I comment on his ringtone. He smiles and answers it.

“Hello? What?! Why in the fu… No! You call mum! One phone call, fantastic. And im assuming you rang me because you don’t want mum to go off her nut? You know, you owe me big time. Yeah, whatever.” He slams his phone angrily.

“Bad news?” I ask

“Yup. Rex managed to get himself arrested. I mean it’s one thing to get suspe… ow!

“Ouch!” I scream at the same time.

“What the…”

We both collapse onto each other.