Chapter 7

I sat at my usual place by the river. The water was pretty low despite all the recent rainfall. I lay onto my back and looked up at the clouds as the wind blew them to and fro. Today the clouds were too thin to create all those animals. 

A sound of impending doom came when the scrunching of grass under feet slithered into my ears. I flattened my body deep in the grass so whoever was coming wouldn’t see me. 

“Helle,” August’s voice spoke. “I know you’re there.” I propped myself up on my elbows and looked at him. His eyes were sad, but he tried to put on a smile for me. 

“Hi,” I mumbled.

“Hi,” He replied. He walked over to me and sat down. He looked out pass the river. I stared at him. If he’s back, I’m pretty sure he knows about December. He ran his hand through his disheveled hair. A few strands plopped back into the place they were before. He ran his tongue over his lips. 

“You talked to your dad yet?” I asked. 

He nodded and muttered, “Yeah,” 

“Are you okay?” 

“I just found out my only brother it dead because my dad forced him into war. Do you really think I’m fine?” He questioned. 

I twisted my mouth around to prevent me from saying anything slick. I have a habit of doing that. “I’m sorry. It’s just that you’re not crying or anything.” 

“We all grieve in different ways.” He responded.

“I suppose.” 

We stayed silent for a few minutes. In that time, he rested his head on my shoulder and I placed my head on his. I gingerly stroked his face. He leaned his face into my hand to welcome it. I could feel the stubble of his head prick my fingers. 

He wrapped his arms around my hips and pulled my body into his. My body fit perfectly like I was a missing puzzle piece. He stuffed his face into my neck and breathed heavily. He nibbled at my neck and planted a few soft kisses in that crook. 

I pulled back out of reflex, but I relaxed back into him. It felt good. Natural. Like I’m supposed to be here, right now, with him. 

“I know you’re not particularly fond of me, but can you just stay with me? I need you right now.” He requested. I nodded my head against his. 

“As long as you want,” I replied. I felt his smile against my neck. 

“I’m glad. And I may be pushing it with this next request, but I at least got to try.” He said. I raised my eyebrows. “Can I kiss you?” He inquired. Oh, August the Optimist.

“Sure,” I grabbed his face and brought his lips to mine. I could tell he was surprised at first, but he got into it. 

Our lips wrapped around each other’s with hunger. He pushed me down on the grass and ran hands over every bump, lump, and hump. “I’ve been waiting for this moment for a long time.” He mumbled against my lips. 

He trailed his teeth down my chin, neck to my collar bone. I sucked in a sharp breath as his hands worked to unravel my dress. 

My breasts popped out all swollen like they don’t have any manners. He cupped them gently and ran his them over my nipples. He ran his tongue over his bottom lip and then bit his lip trying—and succeeding—to seduce me. His darkened blue eyes locked with my brown.

All while this was happening in my body, August never took his eyes off me. 

><><><><><

After doing something that Master and Mary like to do, we walked through the field back to the mansion. He tried to grab my hand to intertwine our fingers, but I pulled away. “What are you doing?” I asked.

“Trying to hold your hand.” He explained like it was no big deal.

“Why?”

“Cause it’s romantic, I think.”

“No, no romance.”

“Why not?”

“Because it’s wrong.” I answered. 

“How it’s just a relationship?”

“A relationship that could kill me,” I replied. “I knew I shouldn’t have done this.” I thought aloud.

He grabbed my hand to stop me from walking. He stroked my face with the back of his hand. “What do I always tell you?” He inquired. I shrugged.

“You know, I’ll protect you at all costs. I’m still confused as to why you don’t believe me.” 

“I can’t believe because you can’t protect me. No matter how much you think you can, you can’t.”

“I like you a lot, Helle. I may even love you—“ He stated some other words came after that, but I blocked them out. 

“Don’t say things like that!” 

“Why not? It’s true.” He justified. 

“It’s not and you know it.” I shouted. He shrugged.

“It could be. I want you to give me a chance to prove that.” He replied. I turned to walk away.

I know he’s telling me lies. I know he’s just trying to appease me so we can continue doing this, but I can’t believe him. Even if by some margin that it’s true, he loving me just gives me more incentive to leave him alone. 

This wasn’t how things were supposed to happen. At All. 

He grabbed my wrist again and pulled me into an amazing earth shaking kiss. I felt like my body went up in flames because his lips were so hot and burning with passion. My knees sorta buckled too. 

I pulled away from him with hot tears strolling down my face. I punched him in the chest, not hard enough as I would like, but hard enough for him to yell, “Ow.” My hands were probably little pebbles pelting against his chest. But I wanted him to feel the pain that I was feeling inside.

“Stop it.” He gritted. 

“No!” I yelled back. We kept like this for a few more moments: me trying to hit him and him blocking my punches. It got tiring really quickly.

“Fine, let me go.” I requested.

“Are you going to hit me?” He asked. I shook my head no. He gave me a questioning look.

“I promise.” I insisted. He slowly released my arms and as soon as he did that, I sprinted away from him.