Chapter 5

I was in the kitchen putting the finishing touches on dinner while Mary was in the study with Master having a conversation. It seemed serious, but I’m sure Mary will tell me what it was about. 

I picked up a stack of plates and brought them to the dining room. I placed them in their respectable sections. Master’s at the north head of the table and August’s at the south head of the table.

Master and Mary entered the room at the same time and Mary looked all flustered. A few moments later, August strolled in with great nonchalance. 

John placed the pots filled with food on the table. Elena placed the forks and knifes next to the plates.  I was forced to serve the food. 

I scooped some Macaroni and Cheese onto Master’s plate and placed a slice of chicken fried steak next to it with some spinach. I did the same for August and the whole time he watched me with a smirk on his face. When I finally made eye contact with him, he winked at me. I clenched my jaw and then walked to the wall and waited.

Master flicked his napkin onto his lap and then dug into the food. Master eats like he never had food before. I had to look away. 

The only other person that I could look at was August and I wasn’t going to give him the satisfaction. So, I looked down at my toes as I wiggled them around in my shoes.

“August,” Master started.

“Yeah?” August asked.

“You remember Sir Carlo from the Bazaar?” He asked.

“Yeah, sure,” August answered, always with that same apathy that he always has when he’s talking to his father.

“Well, he invited us to check out his plantation in Texas.”

“Cool,” August muttered.

“Yeah well we’re leaving on Thursday so I want you to start packing your bags. We’ll be staying for a week.” 

“Oh, I’m not going.” August acknowledged. Master looked up from his dish, and tilted his head at August. He held out his glass and Mary poured him more wine.

“You got prior engagements?” He asked, bringing the glass to his lips and sipping from it.

“No, but—“ 

“Then I don’t see what the problem is.” 

“Dad, I just don’t want to go all the way to Texas to some slave owner’s dude ranch/plantation. You know how I feel about this whole slave thing.”

“I thought you were just messing around.” Master replied. August stayed quiet.

“Look, the way I see it, is you got no other choice. You have to come with me. Who’s gonna watch you?”

“I’m 20 years old. Plus, there are over 300 people on this plantation that will help me, I think I can manage.” August replied. 

“And you think these slaves have no purpose.”

“I didn’t say they don’t have a purpose. They are useful. I just don’t think we need as many as we have, and you don’t have to treat them the way you do. Shit, you treat the horses and the cattle better than these people.” August explained. I almost smiled.

“Watch your mouth in my house, boy.” Master warned.

“Or what, you going to force me to join the war like December?” 

“I didn’t force December into that war and you know it. I was trying to keep him from going in.”

“Oh, right that how he was conveniently drafted before anyone even knew there was a war.” August sneered. August slid his chair back making a screeching noise against the hardwood. Stood up and exited the room.