~6~

Picture of Jonah at 8 yrs.

"Ice cream, also known as heaven in a cone," Jonah said. He, Scarlett, and I had gone to an ice cream parlor after school. I had invited Jaxon but he scoffed and called my friends losers then went home. No sweet kiss goodbye but I was over it. I'd learned to get over a lot of things when it came to the way he acted towards me. Like how one minute we were okay then the next... we weren't. I'd never say anything to spark his behavior - I was always gentle with him.

"Can you guys help me?" I blurted out. Jonah jumped to my aid.

"Yeah, of course. What's up?"

"It's... Jax."

"What about him?" Scarlett asked, shoving a spoonful of ice cream into her mouth.

"Something's wrong and he won't tell me. I don't know what to do. He's my first relationship so I'm like, useless here. I'm trying. I just want do something right."

"How do you know something's wrong?" Jonah looked concerned. Though he wasn't on good terms with my boyfriend, his worry was genuine. I admired that about him; he was always ready to help a person in need, no matter who it was.

"He has these mood swings, and he's been angry. Lately."

Scarlett stared at her spoon, twirling it around in mid air as she hummed in thought. "Could be something going on at home?"

I sat up straighter. That was a start. "Okay. Family issues," I considered.

"Sounds pretty reasonable," Jonah agreed. Of course. It made sense. I thought about Ace and Kaz. How moody Ace was and how he dominated others. It was because he needed to feel like he had control over something. Their parents abused them in the way of neglect, and he wanted the security that only control could give.

"God, I should've thought about that sooner!" This was my fault. I should've known this, then maybe I could've prevented Jaxon's anger.

"Quit blaming yourself, Z" Scarlett scolded me.

I felt tears prick the corners of my eyes. "But I... I could've done something."

Her eyes widened. "Jesus, no, Zion. Jaxon is not your responsibility! Whatever he does, you aren't to blame."

I was shocked at her for raising her voice. Did she somehow figure out Jaxon was taking his anger out on me?

"Scar, he's just tryna help the poor guy," Jonah defended me. "That's his boyfriend."

"I'm worried about you," she said to me, her own tears forming. She definitely knew something, didn't she? "I knew it was too good to be true," she continued. "For a second, I thought everything was finally okay. I was wrong." She shook her head.

"Scar, I don't understand," I softly whispered to her.

She dropped her spoon, calming down. "I'm sorry I raised my voice, I just.." She stood up, forcing a smile and wiped her tears away. "I need some fresh air."

"Yeah, go cool down some, Lava Girl." Jonah tried to lighten the mood, patting her gently on the back. She smiled at him gratefully before moving to step out the building.

"Don't cry, Z. I'm with you," Jonah comforted, hugging me. "We'll get Jaxon whatever help he needs. 'Kay?"

I sighed, feeling safe in his arms and I whispered my gratitude. With the way Jaxon treated him, he didn't have to do this, but he wanted to anyway.

We let go of each other.

"I don't know what's going on, but the best thing to do when something's not right is to communicate," he advised. Jonah grabbed my hand. "Zion, you mean too much to me for something like that to happen to you. Please don't lose who you are."

I shook my head. "I don't even know who I am."

*

As an eight-year-old, I wasn't capable of understanding the beauty and meaning of a kiss. All I knew was that it was new to me and it sparked my curiosity.

But I shouldn't have fed my curious little mind. Imagine that. A little kid kissing his own best friend.

I separated from him with a gasp, slapping my hand over my mouth. I really just kissed him!

"I'm so sorry!" My voice was very light and musical as a child.

I hid behind the nearest tree at the park we were at, completely ashamed. There were lots of kids here at Pine Creek, playing around and visiting the lake. I just hoped none of them saw it. No, I hoped my dads didn't see it.

I noticed Jonah slowly poke his head around the tree to gaze at me with his intense bluish green eyes. He had a blush on his cheeks as he stepped over to me.

"I'm so so so sorry!" I apologized again. "I-I see my daddies kiss all the time. I wanted to do it too." My face heated up at my confession, but he was silent. Did he never want to be my friend again?

"That's okay, Zion," he said to me, his blush still present.

"Can we still be best friends forever?" I asked, hoping I didn't screw that up.

He slowly smiled, nodding shyly. "Forever."

*

"You're Zion McCulloch, a very gentle-hearted, caring, handsome young man with a love for soccer. You hold your family and friends close to your heart. Your favorite color is green because you love nature and you like helping your dad cook. You aspire to be like him- to be compassionate, generous, and forgiving. And you absolutely suck at video games."

I laughed at that and he released my hand.

"I'm also very flawed," I added.

Jonah shrugged. "Aren't we all?"

I smirked, feeling much better. "You're literally the only person besides my family that knows me so well."

"Yeah, well, we met when we were barely four."

"I stole your toy at daycare," I remembered. "Then I found out we were in the same class at school."

"And your dad made you give the toy back to me, but I let you keep it. You loved it so much." He smiled to himself.

"I still have it."

"Seriously?"

"Are you kidding. Yeah!" I chuckled.

"You should put it in a memory box. Or maybe we could build a time capsule."

"Hm." I considered it. "That's not a totally shitty idea." I nodded as he laughed. I laughed with him, forgetting all my worries. "You know, Jonah? Talking to you... It's as easy as breathing."

((********))