~1~

Justin Barnhill as Jaxon

(Disclaimer: Descriptions of Abuse)

-The Present-

I walked through the athletic hallway of my high school, staring at the rows and columns of pictures. There was only one person I longed to see.

I stopped at the photo of the football team and, because I'd seen this picture so many times, I immediately gazed at the teenaged face of my dad. Under the photo I found his name: Nolan Reeds. I smiled.

"Is he doing better?" I heard behind me. I turned around and saw Jonah heading my way.

"Oh, hey. And, yeah. Thankfully. Being home has done wonders for his health." I clasped my hands together and sighed. "Honestly, I don't know what I'd do you know?"

"I know," he understood. I ran my eyes over his features. He had espresso brown hair that touched his neck and intense blue-green eyes. Sometimes he wore glasses but it was mainly contacts since he'd decided to join the soccer team with me. I had joined for two reasons: I loved soccer, and to make more friends. I did make a new friend who... ended up becoming a lot more than I'd bargained for, I'd say, but he wasn't on the soccer team.

His name was Jaxon Westbay. He had golden brown curly hair with radiant skin. His eyes were also blue-green, and he had a very pretty face. He was a football player and quite strong. Uncomfortably strong. I hugged myself with a shudder.

I looked at my best friend and he seemed to have something important on his mind. I watched him as his eyes roamed the floor, pondering what he was going to say to me.

"Zion, I gotta tell you something."

I nodded, glancing back at the picture of my dad before giving Jonah my undivided attention.

"Yeah, what's on your mind?" I asked softly, trying to encourage him.

He clasped his hands and took a deep breath, but that breath was wasted when Jaxon, out of nowhere, pushed him aside and took a position beside me. He immediately threw his arm around my shoulder, jerking me closer to himself and pressing a kiss to the side of my head.

"Thought you'd be here," he said. I saw Jonah fighting a glare before he crossed his arms over his chest, averting his eyes. "What's he doing here?" Jax asked me, nodding towards my friend.

"We were just talking, Jax. Stop," I firmly warned. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. And no, it wasn't my sudden rush of feelings for him that was causing my heart beat to accelerate. It was... fear.

"Talking about what?" Jaxon pried, moving his arm down to my waist.

"My dad." It wasn't entirely a lie, but I had to tell him something. I kept my eyes fixed on Jonah, screaming at him in my head to help me. He wouldn't look my way.

"I'm gonna go to class, Zion. I'll... see you there," he grumbled. I wanted to reach out for him and plead for him to stay.

And then the hallway was empty.

And that was not good.

As if I were an infection, Jaxon ripped his arm away from me and shoved me to the wall.

"I don't know what's going on between you two but I'm gonna figure it out!" he barked.

"Nothing's going on, Jaxon, I swear!"

"I've been cheated on before, Zion. Not again, not this time. So save your little lies. Whatever it is, I'm getting to the bottom of it."

"Jaxon, I swear... I'm not cheating on you," I reassured, my eyes widening when he gripped my upper arms and stepped closer.