Chapter 16

Dakota's POV

"Am I marked?" I asked Matthew hesitantly, my hand gently running over the bandaged wound on my neck.

He gave me a small smile. "Of course not--otherwise, you'd be in a coma with your body draining it's life away."

I sighed, staring at the ground. Crimson's temper and possessiveness was going to eventually end my life, but in that moment, I saw something. I saw a strange look in his eyes, as if he was very afraid of something. And I assumed that to be me leaving him to be with Matthew instead. In that moment, I finally realized that he really did love me--he just had a violent way of showing it. Perhaps if I worked with him, gave him a reason to calm down and smile, his temper would die down. Perhaps I could help Crimson develop a sense of mind like his brother.

"You're thinking about something," Matthew said suddenly, causing me to snap out of my thoughts.

I glanced up at him, looking away again. "Yea. . .just thinking is all."

"About. . .?" he pushed.

"About Crimson," I admitted, standing up and walking towards a nearby tree, leaning against it and staring up at the sky.

I heard soft footsteps behind. "I dearly hope that you aren't actually considering sacrificing your purity and innocence in order to be with such a monster, are you?"

"Matthew. . .I--well, I. . .I don't know. I saw his eyes, and--he loves me, Matthew. He loves me! And I think that I could learn to love him as well. I don't know why I'm suddenly thinking this way, but I just am!" I yelled out, my eyes brimming with tears.

Glancing behind me, I noticed that his body tensed up, and a glare developed upon his face.

"I love you, Dakota. I love you more than you could ever think," Matthew said, as softly as he could.

I turned around to fully face him, crossing my arms. "My father betrothed us together. We are only an arranged deal, and--"

"Because I volunteered! I've watched over you since the day you were born, because I'm your guardian angel! I fell in love with you, Dakota, and I was hoping that you would have common sense and realize that I'm the better option for you!" he snapped, my eyes going wide at this.

I sighed, looking away. "I do have common sense, Matthew. Crimson is my mate, and apparently, I was destined to be damned to hell for all eternity. But think about it. I will be immortal, and I'm sure it will be hard to get pass the vampiric princes to kill me. I'll have many centuries to enjoy myself before my doom is to come."

"That is not common sense, Dakota! That's stupidity at its finest!" he argued back.

I glared at him. "I am not stupid. I am doing what I want, and that is all that there is to it. Now, take me back to the mansion."

"I don't have to take you anywhere. Find your own way back," Matthew sneered out, disappearing into thin air.

A gasp escaped from my mouth as I stared at the spot where he disappeared. He would just leave me here alone? I didn't even know where here was! Looking around, I knew that I was in a meadow, a meadow surrounded by a large forest. My inner mind kept commanding me to head into the forest to my right, and so I did, not having any other option. The forest was dark and silent, yet it felt so welcoming to me. It was as if I was meant to enjoy the dark, evil side of the universe.

As I walked through the forest, I suddenly had a pang in my heart, as if something was very wrong. My breathing became faster, and I began to panic. My mood quickly transformed, as I started to become more depressed, an agonizing depression. I felt as if someone important to me had died, as if I watched someone close to me die in front of my eyes, and suddenly, I gasped. My soul was crying out in despair and pain, and only one person could possibly cause this.

Crimson. . .

Suddenly, as if an instinct took control of my body, I raced through the forest. My sight became blurry with tears, but my legs and feet moved faster. Before I knew it, I was standing in front of the mansion, but something was wrong. There was a large crowd forming outside of the mansion, all pale skinned with red eyes. Vampires, vampires everywhere. Panicking even more, I glanced towards the entrance, and that's when I nearly fainted and screamed my lungs dry.

Blaze and Gabby were standing on the side, Blaze irritated and Gabby frightened. There was a corpse at the front of the steps, the head next to it. My face paled when I realized who it was.

That corpse was Crimson, the mate that I was going to accept. I was going to accept him the moment I got home, and now here he lies dead at the steps of his own home. My mate. . .dead!

"Crimson! CRIMSON!" I couldn't help but to scream out.

The crowd all turned towards me, but I ignored them. Running through the crowd, I rushed towards his body, wrapping my arms around him. I sobbed loudly, screaming out.

"I'm sorry! I was going to accept you, I promise I was! I was on my way home to do that! Why couldn't you have just waited a little longer?!" I sobbed out.

I felt a familiar hand resting on my back, and I turned to see Gabby. "Gabby, why did he--"

"He didn't, Kota. He was executed," she explained.

I immediately stood up, staring at Gabby and Blaze with wide eyes. "Why?! Why was he--"

Blaze growled. "He almost killed my beloved! He was out of control, and I had to put the kingdom before my brother. He had to be executed, Dakota."

I shook my head frantically. "No no no! NO! CRIMSON! I WANT CRIMSON BACK!"

I just wanted him to know that I accepted him. . .

***************************************************************************

Hello, awesome people! Yes, another update! How do you guys feel about this?

Vote

Comment

Share

Follow

Spread