I remembered talking to Mia for the first time. It was during Stella's eighteenth birthday . I came across her in the hotel hall. We were alone. She looked so surprise seeing me and she didn't have a choice but to look at me in the eye.

"Who died?" I asked her. She was wearing an all black long sleeves dress like a pilgrim.

"What?"

"You look like you've been in a funeral." I extended a hand... a little, to her dress.

The smile on her face slowly faded. A dim flush raced her pale and beautiful face like a fever. 

"No one died, Mr. Valiente... I mean, not recently."

Instantly, I was bothered. It made me regret what I just said. Damn. Why couldn't I just keep my mouth shut.

I clenched my hand and abruptly put it down.

"I'm sorry. It's just like... your dress..." So black and conservative like a nun. I really wanted to add, but I didn't want to embarrass her further.

"I love black and this is my manner of dressing." She lifted her small chin proudly and looked at me with contempt. "I know men like you prefer their women to dress in skimpy tight dresses with plunging necklines and open back.... Showing more cleavage and skin..."

"Men like me?"

"Yeah. MEN. LIKE. YOU." She emphasized each word with gritted teeth.

I chuckled. I didn't know what happened. But she got my attention. I was really amused of her. "What do you mean by that statement? I'm curious."

"I don't have to say it. You know what I mean."

"Ah... that's not fair." I moved towards her slowly and she was stepping backwards, trying to avoid any body contact from me.

"Stay away from me." Mia said sharply.

"I won't until you tell me what you mean." 

Mia shook her head. Then she stopped stepping backward when her back touched the wall. She resembled like a prey trapped and scared of being eaten.

I studied her face, her eyes and her lips. God. She looked so beautiful. Why haven't I noticed that before?

"I wonder what men like me do to young girls like you?" I lifted a finger to touch her face.

"Don't touch me." Her voice was fragile and shaking.

That made me stop and flattened my hand on the wall above her head. My brain said that I should go and leave her alone, but my body wouldn't allow me to go.

I held her eyes with mine, wouldn't let her look away. Her glassy blue eyes were so compelling, magnetic... yet full of remoteness and unquenchable warmth.

I moved my face nearer to hers and instantly our breath mingled. I inhaled her scent and the warm of her breath deeply. So fresh and sweet. I leaned forward. A kiss. Just one kiss.

Mia put her fingertips on my chest. I gasped. The mere touch of her hand made my heart jumped and body tensed.

"Let me go." She almost whispered then pushed my chest a little.

I felt like I was splashed with a bucket full of iced water. I stepped backward and saw her run away from me.

***

I saw Mia the moment I walked inside the bar, wearing a very sexy satin dress and stiletto heels. Who would ever miss her, she looked like a lonely sexy nymphet sitting there on a stool. Every man was eyeing her.

I sighed heavily. Mia wouldn't dress like that before.

I walked towards where she was and sat beside her.

I kept an eye on her. She was looking down at her margarita, then slowly her thick eyelashes lifted up.

Our eyes caught each other and we held eyes for fraction of a second.

"Hello Mia. Nice seeing you again."

**Don't forget to Vote**