chapter 6: they don't care

neil's pov

"hi." i say to adam's sister. she looks around, and starts to shake. she continues to look for adam. "i won't hurt you. i promise. i don't hurt women."

grace looks up at me, and stares.

"i promise." i say again, and she continues to look at me with her lips in a tight line.

she's quite hot. i think to myself. too bad adam will never let me date her.

"h-hi." she whispers.

awe, she's so cute when she's afraid.

"hey. i promise i won't hurt you." i tell her, and she nods.

"okay. . i don't trust you, yet." she says, and i almost lean in to kiss her, but i hold back.

suddenly adam and brad walk in. adam stops in his tracks, as soon as he sees me talking to grace.

"get away from her, neil. you're only gonna hurt her!" adam shouts, and pushes me backwards. he's about to punch me, when grace yells.

"adam, don't!!" she yells, and pushes adam away from me. "please don't!"

brad steps between adam and i, and glares at adam. "you can't just attack neil!" brad says, and grace looks at me.

"sorry. . he's a bit overprotective." grace says. she starts to stiffen up. "where's the bathroom?"

"down the hallway, and to the left." brad says, and she sprints to the bathroom. "i have to go find matt. will you two be okay, alone?"

i nod, and brad leaves.

"i don't want you near my sister." adam says bluntly, and glares at me. "you'll just hurt her, like you did to me."

"i said i was sorry." i say, and grab his arms. he attempts to push me away, but i grin.

"let go of me." adam growls, as i stand over him.

"can't we go back to the way it used to be?" i ask, and his eyes soften.

...

grace's pov

my heart starts to speed up, and i tense. my chest starts to hurt, and my legs start to go weak. i slide down the wall, and i start to take a deep breath. my chest feels like it's about to burst open, as i breathe in and out. i feel lightheaded, and i start to lose my focus on counting.

i almost scream out, but i keep quiet,

i can't let them know. they can never know. i won't let them. they don't care anyways.