Chapter 5: Flooded Decisions

Start from the beginning

Miles looked at the painting, furrowing his eyebrows until he recognized the visual. "Oh dear. I am so sorry. Just...don't look at it, love." Having the pet name slip, covering his mouth soon after he said it.

Alex looked to him with confusion. "Love? Did you call me a verb?" He asked, which caused Miles to merely chuckle, shaking his head and wafting his hands.

"I didn't mean it. It just...slipped. We can go somewhere else if you like. If you're uncomfortable."

"What kind of food is here?" Alex asked, his teeth having finally let go of his bottom lip. Tapping his four fingers against his bottom lip as he looked to Miles.

"Sushi." Miles said nearly hesitantly.

"What is that?" Alex asked, tilting his head as he let his hand drop into his lap.

"...Fish."

Alex's eyes widened once more before replying a little too loud, "They serve fish as food!?" Half of the restaurant quieting, looking over to Alex. Alex lowered his head muttering a "sorry". The guests simply shrugged it off, continuing their conversation. "Why would you take me here, Miles?" Alex asked, he nearly sounded hurt and betrayed.

Miles didn't mean to, though it was a stupid idea to take him to such a restaurant because of Alex's species. "It was dumb. I'm so sorry. I can't believe I thought it would be a good idea. I don't know." Miles nearly rambled off apologies.

Alex looked to him before looking down at the table, "Can we go somewhere else?"

"Of course, l- Alex." Nearly having the pet name slip again, he sighed under his breath. "Where do you want to go?"

"Pizza." Alex simply said and Miles obeyed.

They left the restaurant and went to the usual pizza place they go to every night Miles got off work. Alex wasn't seeming as tense as he was before, though he was abnormally silent towards Miles.

"I'm sorry. I really mean it, Alex. For both of the things I've done. Including the pet name." Miles' voice kept going low with every word, guilt sinking in further and further.

Alex nodded, looking down at the pizza on the cheap paper plate. "I know you are sorry. That was just a reason why I would not want to stay here."

"We can easily avoid that place, Alex. I will never ever take you there again." Miles stated with a soft, crooked smile.

"Okay." Alex smiled back as he looked to Miles. "I accept your apology as well. I just thought...they were eating my friends."

"I don't think they were, love." Miles bit down on his fist, the pet name slipped out again! Leaning over the couch, ruffling his hair in anger. He heard Alex giggle at his actions. The giggle sounding both feminine and like a child. Miles couldn't help but blush at the sound, looking away from Alex with embarrassment.

"It is alright, Miles. I kind of like it." Alex stated, biting into his pizza. Giggling with the mouthful as Miles looked back at him with shock.

"It...doesn't make you uncomfortable? I-I mean if it d-"

"No, it does not. If it did I would have said something."

Miles nodded and sighed in relief, smiling from ear to ear. "Good."

- 🐚 -

On Miles' day off from work, they decided to go to the beach and enjoying the scenery. Though for Alex, he might unfortunately drown in nostalgia.

Miles looked to the ocean with bliss. Feeling the warm sun on his face, his warm smile having to match. His hands were shoved comfortably into his jacket pockets.

Alex looked to the ocean, his eyes following the waves. He stood there next to Miles, having mixed emotions as he looked onto the sunset.

"You know what I noticed?"

Alex looked to Miles, blinking.

"You don't abbreviate your words. Why is that?" Miles asked, his eyes squinting.

"I just talk like this. I am not used to abbreviating words. Maybe I will get used to it." Alex smiled before looking back at the sunset. "It will take me awhile." He finally stated.

Silence wrapped around them for awhile until Alex said, "I do miss my home. This decision is awfully tricky. I do love it here as well. What about you, Miles?"

Miles sighed, itching the back of his head. Shrugging his shoulders before winging out an answer, "I don't know really. It does get hot here way too much. Though I do like it sometimes. Only when there's...air conditioning. The people are nice here. Though...they are quite loud."

Alex nodded in agreement, "It is quiet where I live. It is peaceful too. I have never seen the sun so clearly before either. The sun always looks blurry underwater."

"I can imagine." Miles chuckled, smiling as he looked down at the sand. "What are your family like?" Looking back up, meeting Alex's eyes.

"They are nice and calm. My parents would not like it here but my siblings would. They are quiet adventurous."

"Like you." Miles stated with a smile.

Alex smiled, his cheeks turning red before he could reply. "Like me."

(This was cute! I also did it all in one night. Ideas kept flooding me so, why not! I don't think that this AU will have that many chapters. It won't be that long. I'll also try and work on a cop AU that I have in mind after I read a certain book as possible inspiration. Now I'm just babbling, but I'll have this posted on AO3 tomorrow if I remember.)

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!