Chapter 4: the war

I ran home, paralyzed in terror about what just happened. All the knowledge, science, math, the universe was suddenly just flat out wrong. I desperately tried to sleep, but all I could really do was feel that shocking wave go through my body, paralyzing me.
    I woke up the next day to my step-mom kissing me "awake", even though I already was. "Good morning sweetie!" She cooed. "Goo....d...morn..ing" I said in a half-asleep state. "We're going to leave in thirty minutes so please be ready by then!" She called, leaving the room. "Just a dream" I mumbled. I took my lousy vest, a new under shirt, and new pants to my room where I changed. In the vest, something was pinching my chest. I reached in the front pocked and found the very same golden piece of paper Zac, I mean Zeus gave me yesterday. Brightly shining, with the same message. I tore it to shreds and threw it out. I continued my daily routine and marched happily to mom's car, knowing that I could actually have a normal human being conversation, only because we've gotten closer.

        I sat down at my desk, disgusted as I saw Zach, sitting there in his old uniform, old face, same old soft voice. He shot me a grin, and I just pretended like I never saw him. "Okay students!" Mrs. Fico announced, "sure enough, the 'new student'" I thought. "We have a new student joining us today! His name is pos..PEYTON, yes Peyton, that's his name." She nervously stammered. Great, the teacher's in on it too, go figure. "Hello Peyton" The class cheered. He rushed to Zach and started whispering to him and kept looking back at me and laughing. I did one of my trademarked death-stares and said, "can I help You?" Making sure to be sarcastic. He just rolled his eyes. I took out my schedule for Thursday and Tuesday: Writing, Language arts, Math, Lunch, biology, and Technology. I snuck a look at Zach's schedule. "Totally didn't see that one coming," I sarcastically mumbled. All of the same subjects except for Technology and Biology. Then I looked at Peyton's. This time only two of the same subjects, conveniently the ones Zach isn't there for: Technology and biology. There were no strange occurrences in the first half of the day today with Zach or Peyton. I think he was just proving a point yesterday. I sat down with a single slice of bread and an apple for lunch. Today was eat outside day. Apparently my hay fever isn't a good enough excuse to sit inside. As soon as Zach and Peyton sat by me, I gave them a cold face and walked toward the benches.

Suddenly, I couldn't move. It felt like all of my energy was focused on my back. My vision started to fade, I couldn't breathe. All I could feel was my feet dragging against the hot gravel. The feeling went away, I could see, I could breathe, I could move. I took deep breaths, trying to recover my lost oxygen. "What...Did....you do to me?!?!" I gasped. Peyton replied,"well, no one was paying attention and you were walking away, so, I used the water in your blood to drag you back here!" "Um...I get that you're magical and whatever, and I can learn to accept that, but why are you dragging me into it?" I said to them. "Blake, stop trying to cover it up, your hair's a DEAD giveaway." Zach said. "My hair?" I asked. "You of all people must have realized that the color of your hair isn't any normal human's hair." Said Peyton. "Just like your father." Zach mumbled. "You know what happened to my dad?!" I almost yelled. "Well, no" they said in harmony. "But it is a possibility that he gave his power and immortality to a newborn he thought would be worthy, and died from old age like the rest of the humans, but that's just what we think." Zach said. "You still haven't answered my question!" I said with a frown. "Tell me why you're dragging me into this!" I said. "Well, since you're the 'son' of Hades, we need you to help us save the human race." Zach said. "From what?" I asked. "The camera..." Was all he got to say before the bell rang. I slithered my way through the rest of the day, being overjoyed to finally be in my own bed. When in the distance, I heard a loud, blood-curdling screech. Followed by the sound of a billion stomping foot steps. I started glowing red. I rushed downstairs to make sure everything was okay. Everyone was gone, mom, Jane, dad, everyone. Ran to the car, no one, school: no one town square:no one. I started breaking down in terror when I heard 2 voices chime in the background in a soft, low voice, "We warned you, Hades."