Chapter 2: After Lunch

Chapter Two: After Lunch
    I spent the rest of lunch with Zach's questionings words ringing in my head, "Yeah sure a mistake" Now that I think about it, Lightning-yellow eyes, cloud-white teeth, raw lightning bolts from his hands! Running faster that the wind? Maybe he is.. NO! That's IMPOSSIBLE!  There's no way! The bell rang and I was pulled from my mental rant. I hurried to Novel Study.
    We read three chapters of Alice in Wonderland. Zach was seated next to me. In the last ten minutes of class, he passed me a shimmering piece of gold paper. I opened it and it was blank. I gave him a confused look. He didn't even glance back. Not even a stare up from his book. I put the piece of paper in the front pocket of my vest. In my constraints of confusing fantasy, I didn't notice the bell ring for Art. I felt a powerful shock shoot into my shoulder followed by a smile from Zach. I brushed it off and left for art. Nothing but boring painting. I made my way to my step-mom's car and prepared myself for the "How come you didn't make any friends?" lecture. She said those exact words and I said, "Well...I guess i kind of made one friend..." The car came to a sudden stop. "YOU DID?!?!?" she said. "AHHHHH! YES YES I DID NOW GET OUT OF THE MIDDLE OF THE HIGHWAY!!!" I screamed. "Oh, sorry, now tell me about them!" she excitedly said. "Um well his name is Zachary but I call him Zeu.. I mean Zach." I corrected. "And um.. Well he gave me a piece of pap.. I mean um... nevermind." I stammered. "Are you feeling okay Blake" she asked "Um well.. I guess not, I don't know" I moaned "Well okay, sweetie, just feel free to tell me about all of your new friends when your feel okay." she sweetly said "Man, step-mom's cool. I think she's the best one of my new family." I thought. As I was driven home. I had paint from art all over my hands. I needed to wash it off. I approached the one and only bathroom we had downstairs, careful to avoid step-dad. "Where do you think you're going?!" he screamed. "DANGIT he caught me" I thought. "Where have you been?!" he yelled. "Um... school, it was my first day, you helped me shop for my uniform just yesterday?" I said, trying not to be too sarcastic. "LOOK KID!" he screamed. "I WAS HERE IN THIS SPOT THIS MORNING!" "I WOULD'VE KNOWN IF YOU WENT TO SCHOOL!" he screeched. Mom, watching from the corner, called him to help with dinner, she was careful to make it in a sweet tone. Phew, that was close. I hustled down to the bathroom, where Jane was drying her hair. I asked if I could slip past her really quick. She blew her hair dryer directly at my face and yelled, "SCRAM BRAT!" I ran up to my cramped room and locked the door. Staring at the piece of gold paper Zach gave me. "Blank," I mumbled, turned the paper over , "Blan..k?" I noticed letters out of the corner of my eye. The words were cut off, but some could be made out: IT _E_MS _O_ FOU_DO_T M_ SE__ET, Y_U M_G__ _E TH_ _NE I_'_ BE__ LO_K___G FO_. _OME _Y T_E PAR_ A_ 8_0_ _ND I'L_ EXPL_I_N EV_R_ TH__G.

-ZA_H  

.......WAIT! THE HEAT FROM THE HAIR DRYER! THE LETTER WAS IN MY FRONT POCKET! I patiently waited until Jane was done and used the hair dryer to reveal the rest of the message: IT SEEMS YOU FOUND OUT MY SECRET , YOU MIGHT BE THE ONE I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR. COME BY THE PARK AT 8:00 AND I'LL EXPLAIN EVERYTHING.

-ZACH