Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

The Auditorium was silent.

There was nothing but the sound of two slippers, the familiar crinkling sound of the black and white uniform hardened by starch and vigorous washing, and the silent forbidden prayers of the long pig-tail haired girl.

The girl looked no more the 12, maybe 13. Still, her young innocent face was struck by obvious fear. Behind her stood a long line of girls, all with the same look of horror upon their faces. Most girls were praying for help, some were wringing their hands in despair, and some were crying softly.

Audrey Opal grey was reading a book.

“Horrid child. How many times have I told you, you are not allowed to read books during the ceremony!” A fat hand snatched the book from under Opal’s nose. The book easily slid out from Opal’s hands, like butter on a frying pan. That was another one of Opal’s weaknesses. She had no strength.

“Give me back that book Agnés.” She stood up. Although the conversation was described as loud and rash, their silent whispers were no more then the sound of slipping on a ring. Unless, of course, if the ring is too small, which can cause you a lot of pain and howling. Or if you’re like Mary-Jane, the witch in the same dorm as Opal, who is obsessed with beauty, and would howl in joy instead of pain.

“Don’t talk to me like that. Terrible name, with terrible looks, dear or dear.”

The matron shook her head sympathetically “How in the world will you ever find a husband?”. “  Opal shifted uncomfortably.

Her middle name was always criticized as being matronly and peculiar. It was true, though Opal didn’t like admitting it. That was why she had always called herself her real name, Audrey grey. She didn’t care if nobody else called her by that name. She was Audrey grey, and she will be for some time.

“AH!” A sharp scream cut through the sullen atmosphere. Nobody in the quiet auditorium was surprised, or if perhaps, on a very rare chance, they were  ,they would be too terrified to speak, A lady shrouded in black, almost as black as jack’s tail coat, had jabbed a sword into the innocent-faced girl’s hand.

The girl was now sobbing uncontrollably “Please ms.Favier, P-P-Please… Please! Please stop the pain! Please!” . The wicked lady, ms.Favier showed a villain’s menacing laugh, that was disguised as a mother’s loving and sweet smile. “Why, child. This is called positive punishment.We shall not have a single child being, let’s say…Hurt.Hurt by breaking the laws of the school.”

“Through pain and hunger, through white and black, dark magic will rule and….”

Agnés was silently mouthing every word that ms.Favier was saying, as if it was the greatest speech in the world. 

Each girl watched, terrified. Along with the dread spell that the Favier witch was chanting, dark swirls seemed to replace all the girls lost blood. It was a gaping hole that alice fell down into… But never got out. Basically, the scene consisted of a massacre of joy, around 25 girls behind in the line (With the one at the front trembling), And opal, who looked on, bored.

“That will be all now.” Miss.Favier pulled out the sword. The girl looked faint, and blood was smeared on her dress. She held her hand weakly, blood still dripping,

And fainted.

The girls gasped. Ms favier simply wiped the blood on a small tissue provided to her by Agnés, who was by her mistress’s side in seconds. “Next!” She bellowed. As a trembling first girl started to walk up, Ms.Favier shrieked “WAIT!” . Everybody stopped. Breathing pulses were struck down like airplanes in war.

After a few death-like flat moments, Ms.Favier resumed her angelic smile. “Opal Grey. Please come to the stage…Dear.” Ms.Favier spat out the last word as if it was a rotten fruit.

Opal shrugged, and tossed her book towards a oak wood table. As she walked past the girls, she gave each one a little smile, as if they were all long ,old friends. As she did that, the girls stared up at her admirably.

Audrey had been here over countless times. She, to the girls who despised the black wearing devil who dictated the female witch dorms, was the ultimate hero. She did something to outsmart Ms.Favier every time.

She didn’t bother taking the steps up the stage. She, instead, lifted her dress above her calves (Which any respectable high society lady would be disgusted by) and jumped on stage.

“Lady favier.You look wonderful today.” She smirked, and curtsied “Considering today you look like a mess. I prefer this version of you better then the face you were born with.” The girls had to stifle their snickering.

“Audrey.”

“Isabelle.”

“Do NOT call me by my first name”

“Do NOT call me by my first name~” Opal mocked her. It was obvious she was rude and bossy towards everything she hated, but that was just who Audrey was. Opal gave a sad look towards the fainted girl, and held her up. Ignoring the tall black wearing witch, she found Victoria’s friends in the line, and whispered to them. “Take victoria back to her bedroom. You can use that spell of lightness on her, won’t cause her any pain. I’ll take care of the old hag.” Victoria’s friend’s nodded.

The dealing went unnoticed amongst the line of girls, Agnés and the dictator, due to the fact that Opal had started playing with the sword.

One of Victoria’s friends started the spell

Feather like a silver dove,

swinging  darkly with a shove.

Light as clouds can ever be,

Alivera nosare tavu leulu.”

The last line that was uttered softly was native abrithian language. Immediately after the first friend had said the first verse, a girl with dark red hair, started softly in another verse.

“Carisha miuvara ashou Iréwa,

 Nabelle qui vous tre.

Esu name di yertelyn lynne noit

Esu name di yertelyn lynne noit.”

Victoria instantly became lighter, and the two friends carrying her could feel it. Silently, they crept out of the room….