Chapter 5: The Yule Ball

Hermione usually was never excited for these things. Though, once in a while was fine for her. In the dorm rooms, it took longer than usual to get ready because Hermione didn't want to be trapped in a room full of horny 15 - 16 year old girls. So hiding out for a while she stayed in the common room just a bit longer.

"Aren't you going to the ball Hermione?" Lavender asked her as she came out of the room in a sea foam dress.

"Yeah, go on ahead, I'll catch up." Hermione sighed.

Lavender nodded her head as she caught up with a few other girls. After they had left, Hermione quickly ran into the dorm room. She had no time to waste. She picked out her pastel pink and ruffled dress that complimented her figure along with a pair of simple flats. She styled her hair up in a fancy updo and along with some diamond earings. She rushed to apply lip stick and lip gloss to top it off and applied a slight blush to her cheeks. She twirled around in the mirror, surprised by the effort she put in.

* * * * *

Everyone gathered in the entrance of the great hall. There were people laughing, gossiping, having a great time. Hermione, stayed around the corner, hoping to show up when Viktor did.

5 minutes go by,

10 minutes go by,

15 minutes go by,

But when Hermione heard the sound of the horns going off, she knew something wasn't right. She took a look around to see everyone lined up at the entrance.

Fleur Delacour with a man in a slick black suit, Cedric Digory had Cho Chang around his arm. She spotted Harry at the back with one of the Patil twins with him. Then she saw Krum. He was with a girl she noticed from Ravenclaw. The one that usually tried to follow him around. They entered and Hermione was heartbroken. She was left alone at the staircase for a good ten minutes as she heard the ballroom music play. She cried for a while. Things going through her head. She thought about maybe going in and surprising them, but Ron's words stuck to her head.

For a girl, its just sad.

She then thought that maybe she really wasn't good enough for anyone here. She heard the music change from ballroom to rock. Then it slowed down to a slow song. She heard footsteps behind her and stop where she was. Thinking it was a teacher, she scooted to the left, towards the railing to give them room. She heard a familiar voice.

"What are you doing out here, Granger?"

Hermione looked up with puffy red eyes, right into the eyes of a Slytherin that hated her and her friends for a while. Draco's smirk changed into a frown. He sat down on the spot Hermione had moved out of.

"What's the matter?" he asked, genuinely it seemed. Hermione didn't buy it.

"What's it to you?" she asked in a bitter tone.

Draco put his hand over his heart, acting as if it ached, just so he could get Hermione to laugh. He put a hurt look on his face as he clutched his shirt. Hermione did giggle though and Draco seemed proud.

"But really, is there something wrong?" he asked.

Hermione sighed. In honesty, she wanted to tell him. He wanted to tell someone so bad. But she didn't want him to think she could be any more of a loser she already is.

"Erm, no. I just didn't have anyone to dance with, that's all." she said as she played with her fingers.

Draco stood up from the steps of the staircase and turned around so he faced Hermione. He held out a a hand. She looked at him, confused. Yet, she didn't suspect anything. So she took it. The slow music came to a loud point and they walked up the stairs so they wouldn't be in the way.

He wrapped his other hand around her waist as she put hers on top of his shoulder. They slowly started to move and he gave a slight smile, hoping to see her do the same. She did. She laughed a little too as they slow danced, just like in transfigurations class. Draco then did something risky. He tightened his grip on her waist and pulled her closer to him. Not obliging, she wrapped her arm around his back as they held hands and swayed to the music. She could feel his chest, breath heavily and her heartbeat began to quicken.

She rested her head on his shoulder. Draco stood there, his hand caressed hers as they slowly began to stop swaying but just a little bit moving. The song stopped and it was a little bit into the next song that they pulled away. She wiped tears that formed in her eyes and Draco put a hand on her cheek.

"Are you alright?" he asked as he stared into her eyes.

All she could do was nod. She was so choked up on what happened.

"Thank you, Draco." she said.
He let go of her cheek and she turned to his side, she placed a hand on his cheek and planted a kiss on his other. He turned a bright shade of red. She giggled and headed back to the common room.

What a night.