Chapter 4: Asking and Pretending

It rained for quite a while now. But as everyone got excited for the Yule Ball by the end of this week, they scrambled to find some good dates. She found out that Ron had ask Fleur Delacour and she rejected him. So Harry got Ron to double date with him. Hermione remembered that she sat out in a corridor once, reading a book till someone interrupted her. She remembered the conversation clearly.

"Oh, it's you." she said, quickly looking down at her book again.

"Who else would it be?" he smirked.

"Well, I thought you were one of my friends." she mumbled slightly to herself but loud enough for him to hear.

"Your red headed friend seems... Out there." he stuttered a bit, thinking of using the right words.

Hermione giggled and she found herself to stand up and mark her place in her book.

"Yeah, that I know." she laughed a little.
Viktor chuckled along with her.

"But that Harry Potter.. He's your friend as well?" he asked, quite intrigued. She sighed thinking about him.

"Best friend." she said proudly.

"Anyways, you came to talk to me about my friends?" she asked, with a hint of unnoticeable annoyance in her voice.

"No actually." he said, unaware of her surprised reaction.

"I came to ask if you had anyone escorting you to the dance." he smiled at her, hoping to charm his way around her.

Hermione didn't budge, but she didn't want to spend Christmas Eve night alone.

"No." was all she could say before he took her hand in his and lightly laid a kiss on top.

"Well, you do now." he said as he turned the other way around and began to walk away.

"Sneaky little..." Hermione mumbled. She turned around as well before bumping into someone.

"Hermione! There you are!" Harry exclaimed as he looked at her.

"I'm sorry Harry, was there anyone looking for me?" she asked.

Harry shook his head.

"No, Ron and I just wanted to know where you were. You weren't in the common room or the library." he said worriedly. Hermione giggled at him.

"Well I'm fine."

"Harry! You found her!" Ron shouted from down the corridor. Harry and Hermione both shoot their head around to see him running up behind them.

"Where were you?" Ron asked, looking at Hermione.

"I was just reading, no need to worry." she said as she began to walk back to the common room, with Harry and Ron trailing behind her.

"Well Hermione... You're a girl," Ron started.

"Where are you going with this, Ronald?" she looked at him briefly, slowing down their pace.

"It's one thing for a bloke to show up alone at the dance... For a girl it's just sad." he said unaware of how ungrateful his words sounded.

Harry at first had wanted him to go for it, but as soon as he said the word, "girl" he tried to stop him, to save him from the wrath of Hermione, obviously, it didn't work. Harry face palmed himself for him and Ron. Hermione, on the other hand, boiled with rage. How dare Ron think that she isn't good enough for anyone to ask her to the dance. Her face turned bright red and she was offended.

"I'll have you know that I won't be going alone because believe it or not, someone's asked me." she said in one breath as she stopped walking and turned to meet Ron straight in the eye.
"And I said yes." she whipped around and hurried away.

"Bloody hell, she's not lying?" Ron ask Harry as he watched her walk away.

"If you say so..."